What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Is an SQF Quality Audit necessary?

Started by , May 20 2021 06:20 PM
6 Replies

What are the positive and negative outcomes of going SQF Quality Code ed 9 certified? We believe that keeping a certification for the current edition of the SQF Food Safety Code is sufficient for the needs of our business. Thank you.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
AIB audit scoring and audit checklist Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? What Audit Software are you using? Upcoming NSF Certification Audit How many Non-conformances did you get at your last audit?
[Ad]

People may not like my take on this, however I see no value in the added Quality component unless you have a customer that is demanding this or in some way your company feels it would give you an edge in marketing - frankly I see no value in it.

HelloTanya, 

What are the positive and negative outcomes of going SQF Quality Code ed 9 certified?

Positives

• You retain (or gain) any customers that are threatening to drop you if you don't go with the quality certification over the existing food safety cert
    • This is typically the main reason. Most of these decisions are driven by customers.
  • Possibly minimize costs associated with excessive quality complaints/issues
  • Feel special that 'you're the best! Around! Nothing's gonna ever keep you down!

Negatives

• A rewrite of some of your program
  • Typically an increase in paperwork, training, monitoring over the standard food safety version
  • Possibly a low interest from customers (i.e. they want you to have the SQF cert, they couldn't care less if it's the quality version)

People may not like my take on this, however I see no value in the added Quality component unless you have a customer that is demanding this or in some way your company feels it would give you an edge in marketing - frankly I see no value in it.

When I looked into doing this for a facility I was at several years ago, this was my take as well.

If the SQF Food Safety Code serves it's purpose for the business & customers aren't requiring the quality code, why bother with it?
Positive:
Customers may be impressed & hold you in very high regard (this doesn't necessarily mean they'll bring in more business).
Negative:
It's more intensive & requires more work.

I work at a company that makes flexible plastic food contact packaging.

We first were just AIB audited (for cleanliness) and ISO 9000 certified for quality.

Eventually we replaced both with SQF Food Safety and Quality certification.

The benefit is one audit.

Most of our customers ask that we have a formal food safety program and a formal quality program.

I have to be honest with everyone. I am a SQF Practitioner for a corrugated packaging plant. Three years ago we decided that we wanted to be SQF Quality as well. It would separate us from other packaging plants, and allow our customers to use the SQF Quality logo. Three years later, we have not had one customer ask to use the logo, and in my humble opinion, the value is not justified with the data you have to provide. Best of luck 

Similar Discussion Topics
AIB audit scoring and audit checklist Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? What Audit Software are you using? Upcoming NSF Certification Audit How many Non-conformances did you get at your last audit? Shadow Witness Audit Request First time Costco audit, no GFSI certification Help with ISCC EU Audit BRC Quarterly Audit coverage Third party audit certificate redacted