What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Dried Hibiscus Serving Size

Started by , Jun 09 2021 02:06 PM
3 Replies

Hello everyone, I am trying to determine the correct serving size for dried hibiscus flowers that my facility repacks (in the U.S). I have looked at the FDA's RACC guide and am unsure what category this product would fall under. Does anyone have experience with edible flowers who could point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Insect Contamination Complaint dried herbs and spices Relative moisture parameters in a warehouse for dried spice Freeze Dried Meat Risks Are there any food safety standards or guidelines for Freeze Dried Fruits and Vegetables? Cleaning Dried-up Produce
[Ad]

How are the dried hibiscus flowers used or consumed by the end user?  This can help narrow down the category.

botanticals, herbs - depending on use

Based on the guide, it looks like you have 2 options:

Spices, herbs (other than dietary supplements) 1/4 tsp or 0.5 g if not measurable by teaspoon 1/4 tsp (_ g); _ piece(s) (_ g) if not measurable by teaspoons (e.g., bay leaf) All spices and herbs (except those that contain salt) used to flavor food (e.g., granulated garlic, granulated onion, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme leaves); seeds used as spices (e.g., poppy seed, sesame seed, celery seed). 

OR

Drink mixes (without alcohol): All other types (e.g., flavored syrups and powdered drink mixes) Amount to make 360 mL drink (without ice) _ fl oz ( _ mL); _ tsp (_ g); _ tbsp (_ g) Mixers for alcoholic beverages (e.g., pina-colada drink mixers); flavored or sweetened drink mixers and drink mixers used to make mixed drinks (e.g., ice tea drink mixes); flavored or sweetened syrups or powder drink mixes without alcohol (e.g., hazelnut flavoring syrup).

This is the most common dried hibiscus recipe I know:

https://greenhealthy...gua-de-jamaica/

I picked that site specifically because it contains serving information that would allow you to break down a single serving.

1 cup dried hibiscus=2L /360mL per FDA serving.... I'm sure that you can weigh that to get a gram estimate. 

Hope that helps.

Similar Discussion Topics
Insect Contamination Complaint dried herbs and spices Relative moisture parameters in a warehouse for dried spice Freeze Dried Meat Risks Are there any food safety standards or guidelines for Freeze Dried Fruits and Vegetables? Cleaning Dried-up Produce Non Cage Free Dried Egg Whites in California Microbiological criteria for dried plant based powders Insect Infestation in Dried Product Sanitation of dried ingredient pipes such as sugar and flour International Standards for Freeze Dried Strawberries