What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Can a Substitute SQF practitioner perform internal audits?

Started by , Jul 07 2021 03:56 PM
9 Replies

Hello all, could you help me about this question? Can substitute SQF practitioner perform the internal audit? Thanks!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Elevating Performance: Achieving Continuous Improvement through Internal Auditing Practices BRC Internal Auditing Query FSSC V6 Internal audit Checklist SQF Internal Audit Documentation question SQF Edition 9 - Internal Audit
[Ad]

Is it a back up SQF Practitioner, with the same training as the main SQF Practitioner?

Hi TimG,

Yes, same training (+ internal audit training). The individual used to conduct the internal audit in previous years and is the only person eligible for becoming substitute SQF practitioner. 

yes if the back up practitioner has  internal auditing training, theycan do this.  

Anyone properly trained in internal auditing can conduct an internal audit and meet the SQF requirement. 

Then they absolutely can conduct the audit, and it's good practice to have them do so from time to time to maintain awareness and spread out duties.

....2.5.4.2 Staff conducting internal audits shall be trained and competent in internal audit
procedures. Where practical, staff conducting internal audits shall be independent of
the function being audited.

Is substitute SQF practitioner independent from food safety program?

Not really, but a key phrase is 'Where practical'. Wording like that implies it's a best practice, but might not work in every facility.

I've always taken the intent in this regard is to avoid having someone like the maintenance manager audit PM's/calibration sheets. What you are trying to avoid is a conflict of interest that could cause blatant food safety issues to go unaddressed.

Is it practical for you to have a cross-functional multi-faceted group of auditors?  I'm sure Kraft, Amazon foods, probably PepsiCo has them. 

1 Thank

Not really, but a key phrase is 'Where practical'. Wording like that implies it's a best practice, but might not work in every facility.

I've always taken the intent in this regard is to avoid having someone like the maintenance manager audit PM's/calibration sheets. What you are trying to avoid is a conflict of interest that could cause blatant food safety issues to go unaddressed.

Is it practical for you to have a cross-functional multi-faceted group of auditors?  I'm sure Kraft, Amazon foods, probably PepsiCo has them. 

Thanks TimG. A small facility here and one person has the internal auditor qualifications. Same person is a member of HACCP team. I believe " where practical" can help. However, shouldn't a standard be more clear about this specific matter? 

Thanks TimG. A small facility here and one person has the internal auditor qualifications. Same person is a member of HACCP team. I believe " where practical" can help. However, shouldn't a standard be more clear about this specific matter? 

SQF are a business enterprise. Flexibility apparently supercedes "Principles" in this case.

1 Thank

One thing I got in the habit of is checking the SQF guidance documents whenever the code wasn't crystal clear. They break down by the actual code, so you should be able to punch in 2.5.4.2 and get some idea of what the auditor will be looking for to meet the code.

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Elevating Performance: Achieving Continuous Improvement through Internal Auditing Practices BRC Internal Auditing Query FSSC V6 Internal audit Checklist SQF Internal Audit Documentation question SQF Edition 9 - Internal Audit Internal Audit Assesment ISO Egg Wash Substitute for Bread Manufacturing Will unannounced audits cause more people to leave the QA field? FSSC Internal auditor competency Frequency of Internal Audits