What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Cooked Meat Environmental Monitoring Testing Programme

Started by , Jul 19 2021 01:37 PM
10 Replies

Hi all. I am looking for some advice, I am creating a product testing / environmental monitoring programme for a site that supplies cooked meat. What do we need to test the meats for? They currently have no testing / sampling plan in place. (new to the job, new to meat) 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
BRCGS 8.1.2 - Cooked Crustacea High Risk-High Care Is touching boxes and par cooked bacon allowed while scaling and packaging? Fully cooked chicken zone decision HACCP plan for cooked meals Could foods home cooked with oil be stored in the fridge for more than four days?
[Ad]

Hi all. 

I am looking for some advice, 

I am creating a product testing / environmental monitoring programme for a site that supplies cooked meat. 

What do we need to test the meats for?

They currently have no testing / sampling plan in place. 

(new to the job, new to meat) 

Depends on the type of meat. Also which country are they in.

also depends on the cooking process---are the GFSI certified? USDA inspected?  Have you seen the HACCP plan?

if they have no testing program at all, best advice?  Find a new supplier--you DO NOT want this headache

You're going to do what when you get a hit???     You would still have to bring the contaminated product into your facility potentially exposing all your products to a pathogen.......not worth the risk

also depends on the cooking process---are the GFSI certified? USDA inspected?  Have you seen the HACCP plan?

if they have no testing program at all, best advice?  Find a new supplier--you DO NOT want this headache

You're going to do what when you get a hit???     You would still have to bring the contaminated product into your facility potentially exposing all your products to a pathogen.......not worth the risk

Ok - let me try and explain - I work for both the customer and supplier. 

I work primarily at food production site A that produces 'ready meals' (chill/frozen) for site B. 

Site B produces cooked meat for site A, who re-pack / combine, then send back to site B.

Site B's owners have just bought Site A. So I effectively work for both sites. 

Site A has basic accreditation, Site B is on the way getting basic accreditation (hence needing to implement monitoring plan) 

What is the typical testing carried out on cooked meats (sliced beef / pork) in the UK?

one more question

RTE lunch/deli meat or is this for hot meals (not deli meat)

It is cooked at site B, chill/frozen transferred to site A, where site A repacks / compiles (ready meals) that are chill/frozen and transferred back to site B and used as hot meals for hospitals 

Whoa-------ok  now you're in a high risk population you're serving----this changes my answer

at initial cooking, the product internal temperature needs verified for cooking, and then again during chilling (hoping you have a blast freezer)

the slicing/cutting areas should be treated need to be treated as high risk, and at minimum, ATP swabs done post clean-pre sanitizer 

The product itself should be tested for ecoli, salmonella and listeria (because of who the consumer is), are you should consider a positive release program, whereby nothing leaves the warehouse until the lot testing comes back negative

BOTH facilities should also have a very robust environmental monitoring program in place

Assuming your also adding carbs and veg?  Do you have CoA for those items?

Scampi - strange isn't how a hospital is holding the most vulnerable of people yet no standards / regulations are required (minus the general law) - absolutely blew my mind. (not sure I will eat hospital food again) 

May I ask why ATP swabbing is to be conducted pre-sanitiser?

Environment - food contact surfaces, equipment, floors, hand swabs, ATP swabbing,

Product - ecoli, salmonella, listeria, shelf-life testing

This is the direction I am going in...

Site A has a programme but its not acceptable, site B - non existent.

Site A currently has a random approach to products tested and tests for: TVC, ecoli, CL perfringens, listeria and Hand Swabs for: presumptive entero and staphylococcus

The products are tested as a finished meal not ingredients / raw materials 

BUT that's why they employed me (treading deep waters lol) 

You CAN do this!!

ATP will read sanitizer as a value and give you numbers that are not real-----it should always be done after a potable water rinse to give you the most accurate number

HACCP plan form 2 does ask who the target audience, and this is why. Risk to general population are very different from the risk level of your audience!

https://www.albertah...o-eat-foods.pdf

https://isid.org/wp-...e_Chapter18.pdf

https://www.publiche...guide.pdf?la=en

The above links should help you push your plan through!

1 Like

Scampi - strange isn't how a hospital is holding the most vulnerable of people yet no standards / regulations are required (minus the general law) - absolutely blew my mind. (not sure I will eat hospital food again) 

May I ask why ATP swabbing is to be conducted pre-sanitiser?

Environment - food contact surfaces, equipment, floors, hand swabs, ATP swabbing,

Product - ecoli, salmonella, listeria, shelf-life testing

This is the direction I am going in...

Site A has a programme but its not acceptable, site B - non existent.

Site A currently has a random approach to products tested and tests for: TVC, ecoli, CL perfringens, listeria and Hand Swabs for: presumptive entero and staphylococcus

The products are tested as a finished meal not ingredients / raw materials 

BUT that's why they employed me (treading deep waters lol) 

As for standards in vulnerable populations - no standards (minus the general law)? My first job was as a nursing home dietitian - in the US. The laws are stricter for high risk populations. The state food safety code is stricter for places who serve high risk populations. Also they are inspected twice yearly - by the local/county health department and state. Part of my job was a monthly audit of the kitchen and dining room areas (similar to processing plants). I also monitored employees for food safety practices who were serving the food to the residents.

Also a many food service departments in hospitals, schools, nursing homes, etc are run by either a dietitian or someone with a food service management license.

As for standards in vulnerable populations - no standards (minus the general law)? My first job was as a nursing home dietitian - in the US. The laws are stricter for high risk populations. The state food safety code is stricter for places who serve high risk populations. Also they are inspected twice yearly - by the local/county health department and state. Part of my job was a monthly audit of the kitchen and dining room areas (similar to processing plants). I also monitored employees for food safety practices who were serving the food to the residents.

Also a many food service departments in hospitals, schools, nursing homes, etc are run by either a dietitian or someone with a food service management license.

Nope - not a thing in place except a 2 yearly visit from EHO. 

I come from BRC AA+ site so you can imagine my horror!

Similar Discussion Topics
BRCGS 8.1.2 - Cooked Crustacea High Risk-High Care Is touching boxes and par cooked bacon allowed while scaling and packaging? Fully cooked chicken zone decision HACCP plan for cooked meals Could foods home cooked with oil be stored in the fridge for more than four days? Help with raised micro issues on cooked meat How to respond to quality complaints relating to cooked products supplied raw? Cooked Chicken Water Retention Controlling raw, cooked and cooking in a Donner Kebab factory Cooked Rice Products, Bacillus Cereus and Clostridium Botulinum