What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Starting SQF implementation - Question about guidance material

Started by , Jul 26 2021 12:55 PM
8 Replies

Hi, I am just starting the process of implementing SQF. I have downloaded the guidance checklist off the sqf website. There are columns titled "Primary Response", "Evidence" and "Supplier Onsite Correction/ Corrective Action". Can anyone help me better understand what belongs in each column? An example using one of the clauses (such as approved supplier program) would be very helpful. Thanks 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Starting a Foreign Material Exclusion plan Need Advice and Guidance on Starting GFSI Certification What do companies that are small and just starting SQF do for internal audits? What extra factors should be considered in the food safety plan when starting to produce RTE Products? How long do you allow production equipment to sit before starting back up or deciding to fully clean?
[Ad]

hi

do you have a HACCP plan already in place?

hi

do you have a HACCP plan already in place?

Yes we do

beautiful

The language is really for auditors, but for you here's what I would do

Primary response would be the portions of your existing plan that cover the pre req from SQF

so garbage/waste as an example---------you would just copy/paste what you already have and then insert the SOP name and # in the evidence column once your sure the program you have covers the SQF requirement  (adjust if needed)

once you've gone through your whole existing program---you may or may not have any blank rows---essentially you've just completed your gap analysis and will know what you're missing!

Say what you do, do what you say - prove it.

Primary is what your answer is to the question

Evidence is the proving part - such as... has a fully developed RECALL plan including all needed sections, team listing, etc.  (example only)

The last stop is what is your corrective action for items that are not present, inadequate, etc.

Suggest if you have not already done so, have an outside consultant conduct an SQF GAP for you.

beautiful

The language is really for auditors, but for you here's what I would do

Primary response would be the portions of your existing plan that cover the pre req from SQF

so garbage/waste as an example---------you would just copy/paste what you already have and then insert the SOP name and # in the evidence column once your sure the program you have covers the SQF requirement  (adjust if needed)

once you've gone through your whole existing program---you may or may not have any blank rows---essentially you've just completed your gap analysis and will know what you're missing!

Say what you do, do what you say - prove it.

Primary is what your answer is to the question

Evidence is the proving part - such as... has a fully developed RECALL plan including all needed sections, team listing, etc.  (example only)

The last stop is what is your corrective action for items that are not present, inadequate, etc.

Suggest if you have not already done so, have an outside consultant conduct an SQF GAP for you.

Thank you for the response. I plan on approaching my manager and asking for an SQF consultant to come, however I was thinking it might be more beneficial if I start with an internal GAP and try to fill in the holes myself first, so when the consultant comes they can give more specified critiques (other than pointing out that I'm missing something entirely). 

Do you have any insight on how to interpret element 9.1.7.1 for equipment and utensils. 

Specifications for equipment and utensils and procedures for purchasing equipment shall be documented and implemented. 

Do we need a specification for each piece of equipment?

a general spec will work

ACME food will only procure equipment that is........................fill in the blanks  stainless steel, capable of withstanding repeated cleaning etc etc----take the language right out of the code!

Are you a FSEP CFIA regulated commodity currently? Has CFIA audited your PCP plan?

a general spec will work

ACME food will only procure equipment that is........................fill in the blanks  stainless steel, capable of withstanding repeated cleaning etc etc----take the language right out of the code!

Are you a FSEP CFIA regulated commodity currently? Has CFIA audited your PCP plan?

What Scampi said!  Our equipment/utensil policy reads pretty much like that (with a list of items taken directly from the code). 

Thank you for the response. I plan on approaching my manager and asking for an SQF consultant to come, however I was thinking it might be more beneficial if I start with an internal GAP and try to fill in the holes myself first, so when the consultant comes they can give more specified critiques (other than pointing out that I'm missing something entirely). 

The beauty of having an experienced SQF consultant handle the gap is the person will pinpoint issues and then go about assisting  you in understanding and correcting.

It is an Auditor acting as a highly experienced reporter that will point out the issues and not provide consulting - they are two separate things.

Personally as a long time consultant that was an SQF Auditor prior, I like doing gaps that are raw and not picked over by well meaning eyes, because in-place eyes will miss things, etc.

Similar Discussion Topics
Starting a Foreign Material Exclusion plan Need Advice and Guidance on Starting GFSI Certification What do companies that are small and just starting SQF do for internal audits? What extra factors should be considered in the food safety plan when starting to produce RTE Products? How long do you allow production equipment to sit before starting back up or deciding to fully clean? Guidance on starting an in-house laboratory Help - I'm starting a new food manufacturing plant in the uk How to sanitize food plant with eco-friendly chemicals before starting up the Tetra Pak juice production? Anyone with experience starting procedures for initial IFS Food audit Help required starting with ISO 22000 implementation