What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

EU regulations on Propylene Oxide Treatment

Started by , Jul 27 2021 08:32 PM
2 Replies

Hi all, my apologies for posting this under BRC. It seemed the most EU centric place to put it. My facility handles a bulk commodity. We often treat this product with steam or PPO as a kill step. I'm now hearing that the EU does not allow PPO as a treatment. Perhaps a long shot, but does anyone here know of such a thing? Would you be kind enough to cite applicable EU regulations if that is that case? I've been striking out online all day trying to verify this. I appreciate the help.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations Pallet treatment standards for a food facility Microbial Validation your container, container closure, and headspace treatment process Chemical treatment for red flour beetles and weevils EU regulations on black spec allowance in sugar
[Ad]

Following this too.  We have potential customers in the EU and like you, sometimes use PPO as a kill step. 

A rep from our trade organization got back to me and said the EU has not established a MRL for PPO. This being the case, a default MRL of .01PPM is applied. They technically haven't approved it for use and any product shipped to EU must meet the minimum PPO default tolerance or .01PPM. Seems it's a bit of a gray area. Unsure you were aware of this. Thought maybe it would help. 

Similar Discussion Topics
Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations Pallet treatment standards for a food facility Microbial Validation your container, container closure, and headspace treatment process Chemical treatment for red flour beetles and weevils EU regulations on black spec allowance in sugar RDB Phosphorus Regulations Regulations for Microbial Environmental Monitoring in South Africa FDA Regulations for ESL Products EU Regulations for RBD Coconut Oil Are there any food safety regulations regarding the presence of a crematorium adjacent to our facility?