What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Environmental monitoring frequency for packaging

Started by , Jul 30 2021 07:52 PM
5 Replies

Does anyone have a process in place with the frequency of swabbing in a food packaging facility?  We test for listeria/salmonella bi-monthly.  My lab tells me it is up to me to determine the frequency but I don't know what is considered normal.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Zosi’s Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP) and risk assessment templates Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility Environmental Monitoring guidance Seafood facility 3M Environmental sampler abrasive swab sensitivity Flour Mill Environmental Monitoring
[Ad]

does anyone have a process in place with the frequency of swabbing in a food packaging facility?  We test for listeria/salmonella bi-monthly.  My lab tells me it is up to me to determine the frequency but I don't know what is considered normal.

Hi djammur,

I suggest to initially see this post/surrounding thread/sub-links -

https://www.ifsqn.co...nt/#entry171684

Packaging of food products or manufacture of food packaging? At our last SQF audit our auditor told us that environmental monitoring, even though it's not required, is expected to be performed for food contact packaging manufacturers. We had an exemption for this up to that point but he recommended that we re-submit the request for exemption from the new Technical Manager. That was in May and I haven't heard from him yet. We also had an exemption from Food Fraud, which is now a Mandatory element, even though there's no chance of fraud in our specific situation.

Packaging of food products or manufacture of food packaging? At our last SQF audit our auditor told us that environmental monitoring, even though it's not required, is expected to be performed for food contact packaging manufacturers. We had an exemption for this up to that point but he recommended that we re-submit the request for exemption from the new Technical Manager. That was in May and I haven't heard from him yet. We also had an exemption from Food Fraud, which is now a Mandatory element, even though there's no chance of fraud in our specific situation.

Hi Hoosiersmoker,

I assumed the Forum  was accurate.

IMO,so far, BRC seem to have been more "upfront"  than SQF over their expectations.

We do 10 swabs quarterly and we manufacture food.  We test for Listeria, E coli, Coli-form, Salmonella, Aerobic, Entreobacteria...we do 2 in Zone 1 and  Zone 4, and 4 in Zone 2 and  Zone 3.  We send off all swabs in bags with 10mL of Letheen broth from 3m to an outside lab ISO certified to SQF code.

We do 10 swabs quarterly and we manufacture food.  We test for Listeria, E coli, Coli-form, Salmonella, Aerobic, Entreobacteria...we do 2 in Zone 1 and  Zone 4, and 4 in Zone 2 and  Zone 3.  We send off all swabs in bags with 10mL of Letheen broth from 3m to an outside lab ISO certified to SQF code.

Hi Penny,

Looks like you are mimicking FDA's exaggerated(?) level of sampling. Seems relatively unusual to respond to  both  wet and dry environments..And in Zone 1. Maybe you have a High Risk Product.

Thks for input but do note that the query was oriented to BRC and Food Packaging.

Similar Discussion Topics
Zosi’s Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP) and risk assessment templates Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility Environmental Monitoring guidance Seafood facility 3M Environmental sampler abrasive swab sensitivity Flour Mill Environmental Monitoring Environmental Swabbing Matrix Environmental risk assessment and sample quantity SQF-2.4.8 - Is an Environmental Program Required? Environmental Monitoring Frequency of Testing Environmental Monitoring