What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Are there any allergens associated with plastics?

Started by , Jul 31 2021 09:17 AM

The only potential  "allergen" I know in plastics is an allergen that is actually produced by the process of making plastic. 

Acryate, a chemical molecule or monomer that is used in a process called polymerisation to form plastic materials can cause a a very strong allergic reaction with some people and with some others it can cause an irritant.

3 Replies

Hello Guys, I have been doing risk assessment for allergens in our premises. To my knowledge most of the allergens are triggered by food especially proteins. Since we only manufacture plastics can there be allergens associated with plastic. Kindly assist me on this.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Magnets used in plastics packaging processing FSSC v6 2.5.6 Management of Allergens Tips for preventing recalls due to undeclared allergens Tips for preventing recalls due to undeclared allergens Tips for preventing recalls due to undeclared allergens
[Ad]

I believe it's possible to have irritation (e.g. contact dermatitis) caused by some of the components of some plastics, but that's unlikely to be the focus of your allergen program. I assume you're manufacturing plastics for use as food packaging?

If so, your allergen program will primarily be about preventing accidental contamination of the product with food allergens. For example, if one of your colleagues eats some peanuts on their break and then starts handling product without washing their hands, putting their PPE on etc, they are potentially going to transfer proteins from the peanuts onto the packaging, and from their it can get transferred onto whatever food product your customer packs in it, posing a risk to consumers who are allergic to peanut. 

Your risk assessment is therefore likely to primarily focus on accidental routes of potential contamination with food allergens.

1 Like1 Thank

The only potential  "allergen" I know in plastics is an allergen that is actually produced by the process of making plastic. 

Acryate, a chemical molecule or monomer that is used in a process called polymerisation to form plastic materials can cause a a very strong allergic reaction with some people and with some others it can cause an irritant.

1 Like1 Thank

Hello all,

For clarification, would this be Acrylate?

Thanks!

Similar Discussion Topics
Magnets used in plastics packaging processing FSSC v6 2.5.6 Management of Allergens Tips for preventing recalls due to undeclared allergens Tips for preventing recalls due to undeclared allergens Tips for preventing recalls due to undeclared allergens Allergens control in research and development Cleaning Between Allergens - Tree Nut to Peanuts Do we need to have signs of alerts for our employees about the risk of processing allergens? Raw Material Segregation based on Allergens Declaration or allergens