What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Should avian influenza be listed as a hazard in poultry slaughter?

Started by , Sep 13 2021 05:25 PM
6 Replies

Greetings all!  We just had a BRC Pre-Assessment Audit last week, and received a non-conformity for not listing avian influenza as a biological hazard in our Poultry Slaughter Hazard Analysis.  No one here had ever heard of doing that.  We are an American company, and are regulated by the USDA, which publishes a Meat and Poultry Hazards and Controls Guide for us to follow when creating our HACCP programs.  Avian influenza isn't listed. 

Is this considered a hazard in other parts of the world?  And has anyone in the US ever come across this before?

Thank you all so much!!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SQF 2.4.3.7 - Hazard Analysis Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing Hazard of Using Aluminum Foil as Packaging Material FSVP Hazard Analysis Hazard Analysis - Preservative
[Ad]

I would get with your USDA inspector and get their input.  I don't know if avian influenza is a real risk in the US or not.  Your inspector should be able to provide some good insight.  

If it isn't a real risk you can mention it in your plan, but due to the low risk it does not need to be managed.

1 Thank

Great-thanks Ryan!!

In Canada, I've never had to include avian influenza on my HACCP plan

In north America, the risk is real, particularly spring/fall during migration when infected birds can gather and spread it to other birds...........the risk is destroying the entire food chain, not infecting your finished product

The USDA has a preparedness plan, you're plant may be down for a bit depending on how many farms get infected.......but it's not yours to plan for

1 Thank

Hi Scampi,

Thanks for your input!  I agree with you, it is a problem that we have to address at the farm level, and we do!  I don't understand the thinking behind including it as a hazard in our process either.  The auditor was very helpful overall, and is going to send me the supporting information they have.  I will be happy to share it if anyone is interested!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

USDA FSIS & CDC do not consider AI a food safety hazard in the US. I've attached the info I use for support. I am sure there is updated info the web.

All you need to do is show that you evaluated the potential for a FS hazard and it is NLTO.

Keith

Attached Files

1 Thank

Perfect-thanks so much Keith!

Similar Discussion Topics
SQF 2.4.3.7 - Hazard Analysis Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing Hazard of Using Aluminum Foil as Packaging Material FSVP Hazard Analysis Hazard Analysis - Preservative Is it true that the final step to control a significant hazard shall be a CCP? Hazard Analysis and identification of raw material and ingredients Hazard assessment methodology in food for determining CCP or OPRP? Salmonella testing for Candies and Marshmallow as per CFIA and FDA hazard identification Hazard Analysis of raw material ingredients