What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Do topical cosmetics need a best buy plan?

Started by , Sep 29 2021 02:56 PM
1 Reply

This is a bit off topic here, but I was wondering if anyone knew definitively whether topicals/cosmetics needed a best by date.  I see that the FDA doesn't require it unless it is a drug or drug product, but I was unsure if the NSF or other third parties required it (I didn't see anything).  Thank you!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
HACCP plan for cold smoked trout needed Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 HACCP plan for chocolate and risk area decision tree HACCP Plan for Frozen Meat No CCPs in a HACCP Plan - Can This Be Possible?
[Ad]

https://www.fda.gov/...ating-cosmetics

https://www.fda.gov/...both-or-it-soap

Generally no, unless your product is classified as both a drug and a cosmetic

How does the law define a cosmetic?

The Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act) defines cosmetics by their intended use, as "articles intended to be rubbed, poured, sprinkled, or sprayed on, introduced into, or otherwise applied to the human body...for cleansing, beautifying, promoting attractiveness, or altering the appearance" [FD&C Act, sec. 201(i)]. Among the products included in this definition are skin moisturizers, perfumes, lipsticks, fingernail polishes, eye and facial makeup preparations, cleansing shampoos, permanent waves, hair colors, and deodorants, as well as any substance intended for use as a component of a cosmetic product. 

How does the law define a drug?

The FD&C Act defines drugs, in part, by their intended use, as "articles intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease" and "articles (other than food) intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of man or other animals" [FD&C Act, sec. 201(g)(1)].

1 Like1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
HACCP plan for cold smoked trout needed Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 HACCP plan for chocolate and risk area decision tree HACCP Plan for Frozen Meat No CCPs in a HACCP Plan - Can This Be Possible? Food safety culture plan How to build a raw materials sampling plan? Anyone have a template for the V6 Risk Based Plan for Tanker Cleaning risk assessment? Allergen Management Plan Food Defence Plan