What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Is Sumac a novel food or not in the UK?

Started by , Oct 08 2021 01:53 PM
2 Replies

Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone maybe able to offer some experience here please. I have a client who I help out on a monthly basis. I am onsite today and they have said they would like to launch a new product that has sumac in it. 

Its not an ingredient I am familiar with but after some research I now know what it is. The one thing that i am unsure about however is that if it is a novel food and if so, what do I need to consider here? 

I found sumac bark listed on a report discussing sumac but not the ground fruit version (as this ingredient is).

Anyone know much about this?

Many thanks!

1 Like
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Food Safety Culture in a Low Risk Product Facility (Wine) Food loss and waste policy Is 316 stainless steel necessary as opposed to 304 stainless steel for food-contact surfaces on equipment? Banned and Restricted Food Colors in the UK (FSA) Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements
[Ad]

I can't see any species of sumac listed in the Novel Foods catalogue: https://ec.europa.eu...ublic/index.cfm

(Would be listed under its binomial name, but there is nothing at all under Rhus sp.)

Generally this is probably a good sign that it isn't considered novel, and similarly I note that e.g. Schwarz are selling it - if reputable brands have it listed then it similarly implies it's not novel.

If you want to be absolutely certain then you could always drop a note to the FSA (regulatedproducts(at)food.gov.uk) just to check, but from what I can see, it would seem to be non-novel.

Greetings, I am in a similar situation, I have a client who has a novel food to be registered to the UK FSA and I am working on that. FSA requires administrative, technical dossiers and other documents. I am not sure how to design those. I have designed HACCP documents and ISO manuals so I think this would not be completely alien to me. If anyone has sample dossiers they can share then it would be extremely helpful.

Similar Discussion Topics
Food Safety Culture in a Low Risk Product Facility (Wine) Food loss and waste policy Is 316 stainless steel necessary as opposed to 304 stainless steel for food-contact surfaces on equipment? Banned and Restricted Food Colors in the UK (FSA) Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Food Safety Day 2024 - Prepare for the unexpected NC for using non food grade oil in a compressor Inquiry about food safety culture elements Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6