What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Doubt about tapes to make splices in plastic film for packaging

Started by , Oct 25 2021 08:03 AM
7 Replies

Good morning,

In our rewinding process we use adhesive tapes to mark the splices between the reels. The suppliers of these tapes aren’ t attached to the food safety regulations so they don’t have certifications that guarantee that their materials are suitable for food use.

How do we justify that we can use it?

Thank you very much

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
[Ad]
Lab testing

I am guessing that the tapes are removed either during rewinding or when used by the customer so that his pack doesn't have tape across it.

As such, I would consider the tape to be secondary, non food contact and as such should not need to be food contact certified

I agree with Foodworker

Those packages should be reworked or destroyed anyway

Last  facility I worked at with film used brightly coloured tape so that it would be removed by the packers (assuming it's manually packed) 

I used to be a bagger operator for 16 years with one of the largest global food manufactures in the world, they used Bosch vertical baggers in our facility and these baggers use tape to splice new rolls to old rolls so I know that these tapes are considered nonfood contact because they seal to exterior of the packaging material. In addition to the tape used for splicing the rolls we used metalized tape to ensure that the packaging material with the splice would be ejected  by the finished product metal detector.

Metal detectors and metal detectable tapes are expensive. Nowadays, thickness sensors can work well with ordinary tapes.

Or you run the splice with no product till it comes out the finished side, cut, discard and go on your merry way. A decent operator can do this in a few minutes (have done it myself on multiple types of packaging machines with various types of films)

Approved supplier? The tape has to be outside of the bag, yes? Procedure would be discard the bag before, bag with the splice and next bag. No risk of contamination. Our paper from the mills uses this method when winding rolls. Our sheeters detect and automatically discharge about 20 ft before and 20 ft after the splice.

Similar Discussion Topics