What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Policy on Facial Piercings?

Started by , Nov 04 2021 08:05 PM
12 Replies

Hi all, I work in the cannabis industry and part of our facility operates under GMP and among the many rules, one is no jewelry. Recently our distribution department became GMP and now has to adhere to our dress code and we are getting a lot of push back about facial piercings. Staff is arguing that they cannot take out their piercings as they will close up within the day and/or can't be easily removed and furthermore they don't think this is fair as when they were hired, this policy (no jewelry) did not apply to their Dept. I'm looking for any tips and advice you may have. Do we just hold firm and say no jewelry period, do we let them wear blue Band-Aids over their jewelry, do we give them a timeline to comply?  

Always appreciate this forum for helping me out!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
New Amazon Dietary Supplement Testing Policy SQF 11.3.3.8 - Jewellery Policy regarding plain bands Debagging Policy Food Fraud Policy Food Defence Policy
[Ad]

Stay firm or move them out of a GMP regulated area. Full Stop. 

1 Like

There are literally a half a dozen good threads on this in this forum. Do a search on piercings and jewelry.

My opinion, don't budge.

You tell them to get with ot F off and go home.
1 Thank

Here in Brazil we use the sentence: raise the bar

Everyone has to be envolved with the quality...

2 Likes

Thanks all, I realize this is a common topic but I guess sympathized w the people since when they agreed to work here this wasn't part of the deal. But it is now, so gotta hold them to it.

1 Like

Terms of employment are subject to change....................every adult knows that

New rules, like em or leave them

You've made a promise to your customers. Follow through.

1 Like

As usual my BS meter went off when you mentioned that the piercings would close up in a day or less. Back in the early 80's I got my ear pierced... I can still get a stud in there if I wanted too,,, Stick to your guns and hold them accountable to the rules - new or old. Is this the first rule you've made or changed since most of them started? If the new rule doesn't affect their comfort I'm sure they're fine with it right? As soon as it inconveniences them it's an issue... I agree with SQF Consultant (Glenn) tell them to fall in line or F off! There are plenty of jobs for them to go to.

Sounds like some great work cultures on this forum..... Use this time to explain WHY you did the change, what positives come from attaining GMP certifications and how it could effect the business if you are not in compliance. Mentoring goes along way when creating change- sometimes its better to be respected than feared. Best off not making it a us versus them culture. 

5 Likes1 Thank

Agree- stick to your guns.  If the piercing has been in place for more than 2 weeks, it will not close up (I have had my ears pierced since 1978 and have left earrings out for over 2 months at a time without having them close up!).

Sounds like some great work cultures on this forum..... Use this time to explain WHY you did the change, what positives come from attaining GMP certifications and how it could effect the business if you are not in compliance. Mentoring goes along way when creating change- sometimes its better to be respected than feared. Best off not making it a us versus them culture. 

I was coming to say this exactly.  As a manager I have never gotten far by making a change, giving a "My Way or the Highway" type of reasoning, and then being a jerk to those who don't comply.  Yes rules change, but you're going to have high turnover, and poor morale if you don't gracefully navigate those changes.

I would look into alternate positions for those who absolutely refuse to adhere to the policy, and then explain why this must happen (100% compliance to remain certified), and let them know their options.  Grace goes a long way.  

1 Like

I was coming to say this exactly.  As a manager I have never gotten far by making a change, giving a "My Way or the Highway" type of reasoning, and then being a jerk to those who don't comply.  Yes rules change, but you're going to have high turnover, and poor morale if you don't gracefully navigate those changes.

I would look into alternate positions for those who absolutely refuse to adhere to the policy, and then explain why this must happen (100% compliance to remain certified), and let them know their options.  Grace goes a long way.  

Thank you both, I totally agree. These people work long hours in a cold warehouse doing the same repetitive task day in and day out. I am not trying to make their work lives any more miserable. I think explaining the why and managing to be a leader while still being respectful and likable is important! 

2 Likes

Similar Discussion Topics
New Amazon Dietary Supplement Testing Policy SQF 11.3.3.8 - Jewellery Policy regarding plain bands Debagging Policy Food Fraud Policy Food Defence Policy Meat Processing Garment Policy First Expire First Out (FEFO) Policy Problems Implementing and Maintaining a Knife Control Policy Root Cause - Missing Risk analysis for our clothing policy Knife Control Policy