What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Supplier Questionnaire for non-food contact packaging

Started by , Jan 14 2022 06:27 PM
6 Replies

I have a box supplier that provides a GMP audit but nothing that is GFSI compliant. Since it is non-food contact, do I still need to ask them to complete a Supplier Questionnaire?  Probably a good idea regardless, but wondering if it is required if it is non-food contact.  We are SQF certified.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Documentation needed to approve Green (unroasted) Coffee supplier Allergen checklist to supplier BRCGS 3.7.2 - Does a supplier have to have a HARA/HACCP to be an approved supplier through a questionnaire? Passing through Food Safety Documents from our supplier to our customer Approved Supplier Program - Spot Purchasing
[Ad]

How is this non-food contact packaging used in the process/realization of your end product(s)?

It's just the cases that hold the packaged finished product.

Hi Patricia; Not sure about SQF requirement, but I request all my packaging suppliers to either provide GFSI or similar OR complete a questionnaire.

I see. I only ask in the case the primary packaging is susceptible to substance migration from contact with other materials. Like plastic fruit cartons that are holed. In this example, a box that holds them could very easily be consider primary packaging because it is likely to make direct contact with the product

However, as I see the risk on this I would not go very deep because typically just a visual inspection would indicate if there is substance contamination on the boxes

To me it is all in how your Supplier Approval program is written.  For example, if you have in the program that ll suppliers must complete the supplier questionnaire, then they have to complete it.  But, if you say only direct food contact suppliers must fill out the questionnaire and non-direct food contact who is risk assessed to be low risk only need to provide certain information, then you would be ok.  All up to how the program is written and what you feel is the inherent risk.

2 Likes

Yes, have them submit a questionnaire. How else can you perform risk analysis for their materials without it? If they have a GMP program and it's non-contact, it will be reflected in the questionnaire, it will also potentially identify any gaps you might require from them or prompt a visit to inspect their facility. What if your auditor asks how you arrived at the determination they are an approved supplier? What documentation do you have and what is it based on?

Similar Discussion Topics
Documentation needed to approve Green (unroasted) Coffee supplier Allergen checklist to supplier BRCGS 3.7.2 - Does a supplier have to have a HARA/HACCP to be an approved supplier through a questionnaire? Passing through Food Safety Documents from our supplier to our customer Approved Supplier Program - Spot Purchasing What supplier documentation is required when using Aluminium Foil as Primary Packaging? Supplier not providing TDS Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Emergency Supplier Approvals Supplier Questionaire