What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Ingredient statement

Started by , Jan 19 2022 04:48 PM
5 Replies

Hi everyone! I have a question regarding ingredient statements.

I work in a bakery that has a few facilities throughout the United States. Some of the products we have are produced in more than one plant and the ingredient statement is universal in our company website and in the printed boxes we use. Recently we were reviewing the ingredient statement and noticed that the flour that we purchase from our vendor is slightly different from the vendor that one of our other plants use.  

Example- one of the plant's flour contains silicon dioxide and one doesn't. 

would there be a problem if we label the one that has silicone dioxide for all the plants even though some of them do not have it?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Ingredient List Question (FDA, USA) Non-food grade ingredient What is the requirement for damaged ingredient bags in dry storage area? How to control salt water brine as an ingredient? Product cooling (RTE) in an ingredient storage area
[Ad]

You may need not have to put it in your ingredient deck at all

CHAPTER I--FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES SUBCHAPTER B - FOOD FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION

PART 101 -- FOOD LABELING

Subpart G - Exemptions From Food Labeling Requirements

Sec. 101.100 Food; exemptions from labeling.

(c ) Substances that are added to a food for their technical or functional effect in the processing but are present in the finished food at insignificant levels and do not have any technical or functional effect in that food.

So assuming the sulphur dioxide is added at the flour mill to aid with flow/anticaking, and is present in say 1% or less by weight of the flour, if it equals less than 0.5%/weight of your finished baked good......you need not have to list it.  I would do the math first, and then remove on next order if you can, then it becomes a non issue

2 Likes1 Thank

I agree, but I'd want to know how much SD is in the flour, and what percentage of flour is in the product formulation.

I've never heard of flour with SD for flow agent, that's odd...

by it's very nature of anti-caking it would allow the flour to flow through the packaging machines better

Oh I don't doubt the functionality.   But we're a flour based facility, I've worked with a LOT of different flours, and have plenty of experience with SD, never seen it in a flour.  

Our flour is clean of it, and flows just fine.   I don't see normal flour under good conditions having a caking issue, but whatevs.....

I've seen it in finished mixes, coffee creamer, etc.   Never flour.

1 Thank

Silicon dioxide is only permitted in amounts <2%.  You do not need to include it on your label because it is not performing a function in your finished product.

Similar Discussion Topics
Ingredient List Question (FDA, USA) Non-food grade ingredient What is the requirement for damaged ingredient bags in dry storage area? How to control salt water brine as an ingredient? Product cooling (RTE) in an ingredient storage area Transportation of a frozen ingredient Form of ingredient to include on labels Customer will not provide their ingredient recipe Water in Ingredient Listing Why are bugs that come in a received ingredient a spec issue and not a food safety issue?