What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What allergen swabs are you using?

Started by , Mar 17 2022 10:03 PM
4 Replies

Hello All,

I work for a tree nut company in California. We are looking to change our allergen swabs. Our current ones are not quite fitting our needs.

We are looking for:

FDA approved

Cost effective

<10ug activated

Calls out tree nuts.

I see Neogen, Hygena, and Elisa out there, but I want to consider my options. What do you use and how do you like it? 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin? Allergen Management
[Ad]

I've used the Hygiena Allersnaps which will test for all of the allergens at once but you will need to purchase an incubator and i don't think its AOAC approved. , it was cheaper to use it  since we had multiples allergens in our product (bakery) however i always lean towards Romer lab AgraStrips when testing for an individual allergen because the kit comes with 2 testing method. one for product & the other for surfaces and its AOAC approved. 

Hopefully this helps you a little bit my friend

1 Thank

@Bread_Head316 We used those in the past and were advised to get swabs that are FDA approved. Have you encountered this?

depending on your intended use, I would  use something like neogen reveal lateral flow tests kits.   Romer was mentioned above.  I don't think i've ever used their allergen kits, but their other products are very good.  

I don't believe there is a color changing swab like the allersnap that is AOAC approved.   

https://www.neogen.c...-multi-treenut/

1 Thank

I've used the Hygiena Allersnaps which will test for all of the allergens at once but you will need to purchase an incubator and i don't think its AOAC approved. , it was cheaper to use it  since we had multiples allergens in our product (bakery) however i always lean towards Romer lab AgraStrips when testing for an individual allergen because the kit comes with 2 testing method. one for product & the other for surfaces and its AOAC approved. 

Hopefully this helps you a little bit my friend

Allersnap is NOT an allergen testing kit despite the apparently widespread belief that it is.

(It is useful in verifying a validated allergen cleaning procedure)

See -

https://www.ifsqn.co...on/#entry183429

Similar Discussion Topics
Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin? Allergen Management Allergen Management Plan Lychee Nut Management as an Allergen Allergen Risk Assessment Carryover Non Allergen Allergen Label Checks