What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

FDA regulations for food grade plastic packaging

Started by , Mar 24 2022 03:27 PM
2 Replies

Hi everyone,

can anyone help me on FDA regulations for food grade plastics, I searched the fda site but they only mention the list of components of plastic materials as "food contact substances" FCS. 

we are using plastic containers of 450g capacity. these containers are made of PP (polypropylene) and are used to pack "ready to eat frozen seafood curries". these curries are supposed to export to USA.

I found on the internet the list of 7 plastics which are approved by fda as food grade plastics with their codes from 1-7, PP has code 5, but I did not found such info at FDA's official site.

please help me out that what are the FDA's requirements, do I need to get these containers tested from lab for food grade verification and will fda accept that certificate or lab report as food grade proof. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ?
[Ad]

I'm not sure of the FDA regs but in the EU I would be asking the packaging supplier for their Declaration of Compliance and migration results for the plastic. that would be enough to ensure conformity. 

thanks for your input. in our case we are importing the resin and containers will be manufacture in Pakistan, so I think as per your suggestion I have to ask the resin manufacturer for food grade compliance declaration and I need to get my containers check for migration test later on

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? Hairnets for a packaging component manufacturing facility HACCP Training for Flexible Packaging Industry Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Food Safety Videos- Recommendations?