What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Allergen Labelling of Sesame for Wholesale

Started by , May 19 2022 07:13 PM
3 Replies

Hi, the USA recently moved toward making Sesame Seed one of the Top Allergens and as per FALCPA requires food products to declare if a product contains an allergen.

We are a wholesale distributor of spices dealing in only single mono-ingredient spices. We have a separate allergen room to store our wholesale 50 lbs bags of items which are considered Allergens, e.g. mustard, celery, seasam seed. I am wondering since we are primarily in B2B, do our wholesale bags containing just sesame seed (no other ingredient), require a statement such as "Contains Allergen: Sesame Seed" listed on our labeling? We do not do any direct to consumer sales, and primarily the sesame seed is good to food manufactures. 

Please let me know if as per FALCPA, if indicating sesame as an allergen on these large bags of just sesame, is still required or not? Thank you. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Distribution in Allergen Management Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin?
[Ad]

Contains Allergen: Sesame Seed"

.. yes.

Hi, the USA recently moved toward making Sesame Seed one of the Top Allergens and as per FALCPA requires food products to declare if a product contains an allergen.

We are a wholesale distributor of spices dealing in only single mono-ingredient spices. We have a separate allergen room to store our wholesale 50 lbs bags of items which are considered Allergens, e.g. mustard, celery, seasam seed. I am wondering since we are primarily in B2B, do our wholesale bags containing just sesame seed (no other ingredient), require a statement such as "Contains Allergen: Sesame Seed" listed on our labeling? We do not do any direct to consumer sales, and primarily the sesame seed is good to food manufactures. 

Please let me know if as per FALCPA, if indicating sesame as an allergen on these large bags of just sesame, is still required or not? Thank you. 

The contains statement is not a requirement and optional (as long as the allergen is plainly stated in the ingredient list). An ingredient statement is required. So - ingredient list: sesame seed

1 Like

The contains statement is not a requirement and optional (as long as the allergen is plainly stated in the ingredient list). An ingredient statement is required. So - ingredient list: sesame seed

To back up KfromNE - see section Food Labels and Allergens https://www.fda.gov/.../food-allergies it sums up the 2 options for labeling.

Similar Discussion Topics
Distribution in Allergen Management Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin? Allergen Management Allergen Management Plan Lychee Nut Management as an Allergen Allergen Risk Assessment Carryover Non Allergen