What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to include Food Defense in HACCP plan as per the FDA rules?

Started by , Jun 03 2022 07:24 PM
2 Replies

Hello,

I would like to add food defense to my HACCP Plan. How should I add? any advise 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
HACCP plan for cold smoked trout needed Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? HACCP Meeting checklist Food Fraud Vulnerability Assessment for Processes
[Ad]

Hi ankitadharma,

In my experience, a food defense plan has been a separate document from the HACCP plan. If in your hazard analysis you deem food defense risks to be inherent to your manufacturing process and you can address them in your process as a CCP, then I'm sure that could be done. It's just that the typical methods of addressing food defense risk involve precautions outside the manufacturing process (ie visitor policies, plant security, etc.). 

Take a look at the FDA's resources for food defense, they do have a plan building software available for free. They also have guidance available on their website. I'd expect the builder software not to be user-friendly...but at least it's free! In the past I've simply taken ideas from the software and made my own plan in excel. Much easier to manage that way!

https://www.fda.gov/...se-plan-builder

1 Like

Agreeing with Brothbro.

The FDA plan building software was annoying to use and it churned out a giant pdf of a plan, which is useful, yes, but if I want to edit anything, you have to do so in the software itself. So, I highly recommend downloading it to use as a guidance but creating your own excel plan instead of creating it directly in the software.

There are a few parts of the food defense plan that we incorporated into our HACCP plans, such as not leaving product unattended or uncovered and reconciling unused packaging. But as mentioned, there are parts of the food defense plan that would not have any place in a HACCP plan like having exterior doors locked, so it would still be necessary, in almost every case, to have a separate plan/document.

1 Like

Similar Discussion Topics
HACCP plan for cold smoked trout needed Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? HACCP Meeting checklist Food Fraud Vulnerability Assessment for Processes HACCP plan for chocolate and risk area decision tree Food safety culture Food Safety Additionally requirements HACCP Plan for Frozen Meat Example of How to Assess Your Food Safety Culture