What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Allergen conversions

Started by , Jun 18 2022 08:41 PM
6 Replies

Hi!

Hoping from some math brains to pop up here and save me!

I have found some great allergen (gluten) swabs with detection limit of 4ug/25cm2. 

When I sent the swabs in to the lab to get a validation, the units come back in g/L. 

How do I convert so I end up with the same units? It would just be great to know how close to the LOD I got to with the positive result. The lower the better, then I can see that my swabs work close to the LOD. 

THANKS in advance 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin? Allergen Management
[Ad]

Hi!

Hoping from some math brains to pop up here and save me!

I have found some great allergen (gluten) swabs with detection limit of 4ug/25cm2. 

When I sent the swabs in to the lab to get a validation, the units come back in g/L. 

How do I convert so I end up with the same units? It would just be great to know how close to the LOD I got to with the positive result. The lower the better, then I can see that my swabs work close to the LOD. 

THANKS in advance 

Hi AJL,

I assume the "swab" delivered to lab was a "swab"  immersed in a liquid (S).

I assume swabbed area was 25cm2

I assume "ug" = microgram

volume of S = X  litre

lab result = Y g/litre

Relevant allergen (gluten) in swab = G

Then (With a few assumptions) -

Quantity of G associated with swabbing area of 25cm2  = XY grams = XY x  106 ug

Can compare to 4 ug

JFI this example might also intrigue you -

https://www.factssa....sked-questions/

1 Like2 Thanks
Thanks Charles,
The swab was not immersed in liquid, but the swab was slightly moistened. The lab must have immersed in a standard amount of extraction solution, which I do not know.
Yes ug=mcg.
Yes swabbed area is 25cm2.
I assume this means that I cannot complete the conversion unless I know the amount of liquid which the lab used for the submersion?
I am not impressed by the units they used, I would have preferred g/swab. I will read the link you shared. Thank you!!

Hi AJL,

I would ask the Laboratory for a copy of their test method, that should explain their reporting. Post it here if it doesn't make sense.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanks Tony 👍 good point

Thanks Charles,
The swab was not immersed in liquid, but the swab was slightly moistened. The lab must have immersed in a standard amount of extraction solution, which I do not know.
Yes ug=mcg.
Yes swabbed area is 25cm2.
I assume this means that I cannot complete the conversion unless I know the amount of liquid which the lab used for the submersion?
I am not impressed by the units they used, I would have preferred g/swab. I will read the link you shared. Thank you!!

Hi AJL,

Re ^^^(red) - Yes, you will presumably need some feedback from Lab. The quantitative process is not exactly "simple".

Are you using a particular commercial Product/testkit ?  If so, which one ? (This should detail how to proceed or offer technical backup on request).

The ELISA methodology typically requires extraction of the allergenic protein from the swab. The extract is then sampled/analysed.

JFI, I noticed this caveat for one commercial system -

How long can sample extracts and swabs be stored before testing?
Swabs can be stored for up to 24 hours at 4°C after sample collection provided they have not been extracted yet. Once extracted, samples from swabs should be evaluated within 4 hours. All other sample extracts should also be tested within 4 hours.

PS - you may also find this Production-oriented illustration of interest although (a) the included  VITAL-interpreted material likely has geographically restricted useability and (b) note the words "extreme" /  "homogeneously" :smile:  -

https://www.zeulab.c...l-de-alergenos/

I am using Römer labs rapid test kit, the lab I assume is using Elisa, with result in g/L
1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Allergen checklist to supplier Allergen validation and verification as per FSSC Version 6.0 Allergen Specific factory wear Allergen declaration for gelatin? Allergen Management Allergen Management Plan Lychee Nut Management as an Allergen Allergen Risk Assessment Carryover Non Allergen Allergen Label Checks