What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Food Grade Glass cleaner options for Optical Sorters

Started by , Jun 29 2022 04:54 PM
9 Replies

We are in the process of installing optical sorters (which the FDA sees as a Food Contact Surface) into our process (nuts). We sell it as a raw (non kill step, aW below .6) product. I was wondering what glass/cleaner anyone recommends that the FDA wont have a fit about. Plant Manager says WIndex, I said not in Production areas (only in office and break room). I know I'm correct, but trying to find solutions so we can keep our new sorters clean.

HELP!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ?
[Ad]

We are in the process of installing optical sorters (which the FDA sees as a Food Contact Surface) into our process (nuts). We sell it as a raw (non kill step, aW below .6) product. I was wondering what glass/cleaner anyone recommends that the FDA wont have a fit about. Plant Manager says WIndex, I said not in Production areas (only in office and break room). I know I'm correct, but trying to find solutions so we can keep our new sorters clean.

HELP!

We are a grain processor and have a SORTEX color sorter.  So I am going to make an assumption that our sorting and cleaning processes have some similarities.  We to do not have a pathogen kill step and you are correct in your assessment of Windex (using it will likely result in an audit deficiency at a minimum).  It is not an approved FG chemical. 

We use compressed air to clean our color sorter.  If you are dealing with an oil residue issue from the nuts and need to clean the surface then I would consider "FS Heavy Clean" from RMC "Rochester Midland).  You have to dilute it, but its a food safe degreaser and we have found it to work very well.

1 Like

We are a grain processor and have a SORTEX color sorter.  So I am going to make an assumption that our sorting and cleaning processes have some similarities.  We to do not have a pathogen kill step and you are correct in your assessment of Windex (using it will likely result in an audit deficiency at a minimum).  It is not an approved FG chemical. 

We use compressed air to clean our color sorter.  If you are dealing with an oil residue issue from the nuts and need to clean the surface then I would consider "FS Heavy Clean" from RMC "Rochester Midland).  You have to dilute it, but its a food safe degreaser and we have found it to work very well.

Thanks, I will look into it. Just trying to see multiple options before we go live with them. (Two of the 4 are SORTEX brand)

We use 90% alchol and straight white vinegar.

NO WINDEX
1 Thank

We use 90% alchol and straight white vinegar.

NO WINDEX

@SQFconsultant Glenn, I was also thinking white vinegar. do you dilute or mix it with the alcohol, if so what ratio.

sorry, it is 50/50 vineagar and the 90% A.

1 Thank

sorry, it is 50/50 vineagar and the 90% A.

How do you explain to FDA? Just want to cover my butt. 

Vinegar and alcohol gas off 100% so there is no residue remaining

Just ensure it's ethyl alcohol and not isopropyl

You can just use 10% acetic acid (vinegar) straight with a distilled water wipe 

10% is sometimes labeled as "cleaning vinegar" at the store

1 Like1 Thank

Vinegar and alcohol gas off 100% so there is no residue remaining

Just ensure it's ethyl alcohol and not isopropyl

You can just use 10% acetic acid (vinegar) straight with a distilled water wipe 

10% is sometimes labeled as "cleaning vinegar" at the store

As always, Thanks Scampi! You Rock. I've got a few options now that I can go to him with....

Similar Discussion Topics
Repackaging of Food Grade product 9.7.1 Food Safety Intervention food safety Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? As A Food Safety Consultant - Do You Develop Food Safety Systems Alone ? Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Standard Microbial Count for Equipment /Utensils in Food Industry (MEAT PRODUCTION AND VEGETABLES) Food Safety Videos- Recommendations? Food safety culture plan Food contact surfaces