What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Environmental Listeria

Started by , Jul 05 2022 12:32 PM
4 Replies

Hi,

I am familiar with low risk products that has had rare L. mono environmental detection but have recently come into contact with a high care facility that would have fairly frequent Listeria mono. contamination in high care drains ranging from one positive to six positives per month.  One of the positives was picked up on a piece of food contact equipment.  There is no testing of finished product as it is not seen as a ready to eat product but a ready to cook.  How concerned should you be with that level of L. mono drain contamination within a ready to cook facility. Again I mention I am not familiar with high care facilities but I know on my low risk facility (bread product) we got 1 detection of L. mono in 15 years that resulted in huge spends on drain redesign, floor surface replacement and floor cleaning equipment. TIA

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Environmental Monitoring for a plastics packaging facility Microbial environmental air standard & dairy worker hand swab analysis method with standard & dairy equipment like pasteuriser, valve etc swab IFS V8 5.6.2 - Environmental Monitoring Environmental Monitoring Risk Assessment Zosi’s Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP) and risk assessment templates
[Ad]

Here's a link to a recent study on why the management of l mono is still so challenging and fraught with confusion   Spoiler alert----we just don't know enough yet about L mono to broadly apply a standard around the world

https://www.icmsf.or...Control2021.pdf

1 Like2 Thanks

Thank you Scampi, a weighty document to get my teeth into

What type of foods are you making. To find listeria in a drain in a high risk facility - not surprised at all. You will find it.

2 Likes

Hi,

I am familiar with low risk products that has had rare L. mono environmental detection but have recently come into contact with a high care facility that would have fairly frequent Listeria mono. contamination in high care drains ranging from one positive to six positives per month.  One of the positives was picked up on a piece of food contact equipment.  There is no testing of finished product as it is not seen as a ready to eat product but a ready to cook.  How concerned should you be with that level of L. mono drain contamination within a ready to cook facility. Again I mention I am not familiar with high care facilities but I know on my low risk facility (bread product) we got 1 detection of L. mono in 15 years that resulted in huge spends on drain redesign, floor surface replacement and floor cleaning equipment. TIA

Hi FHM,

I don't understand how a high care designated area would be associated with a RTC finished product.

Please clarify process.

Similar Discussion Topics
Environmental Monitoring for a plastics packaging facility Microbial environmental air standard & dairy worker hand swab analysis method with standard & dairy equipment like pasteuriser, valve etc swab IFS V8 5.6.2 - Environmental Monitoring Environmental Monitoring Risk Assessment Zosi’s Environmental Monitoring Program (EMP) and risk assessment templates Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility Environmental Monitoring guidance Seafood facility 3M Environmental sampler abrasive swab sensitivity Flour Mill Environmental Monitoring Environmental Swabbing Matrix