What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Can you mix citric acid and ascorbic acid in the same product?

Started by , Jul 06 2022 02:18 PM
2 Replies

I was wondering ... can you mix citric acid and ascorbic acid in the same product?

Given that they are both acidic with slightly different chemical structures

Citric acid to lower the pH and Ascorbic acid to prevent browning of fruit / veg

Thanks!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Scope of Certification product specific Stainless-steel grades for product-contact equipment Steel-it epoxy paint for equipment product-contact surfaces Repackaging of Food Grade product Is there a minimum PPM of nitrites necessary to deem a product food safe when curing meats?
[Ad]

I do not know your application for the question but the answer is yes.  Citric acid and ascorbic acid combination are used in a number of drink formulas.  Citric acid can be increased to raise the "tartness" of the drink.

Ascorbic acid is most commonly known as Vitamin C.  Many fruits like lemon, lime and orange occur in nature with both vitamin C and Citric acid.  There is no chemical reason not to mix these acids.  Your application may have specific limitations including but not limited to, customer requirements, legislative requirements, or identity requirements.  If you're trying to preserve color or flavor by adding ascorbic acid you're likely in the clear.  Just be careful about any claims you're trying to make.

Similar Discussion Topics
Scope of Certification product specific Stainless-steel grades for product-contact equipment Steel-it epoxy paint for equipment product-contact surfaces Repackaging of Food Grade product Is there a minimum PPM of nitrites necessary to deem a product food safe when curing meats? Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor? How would I verify my HACCP Plan for new product? Passivation Acid vs CIP Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing PDCAAS (Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score)