What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Environmentally Friendly Solution to Spread Over Standing Water

Started by , Jul 08 2022 06:47 PM
3 Replies

Hello All!

I manage quality and safety at a honey-processing and packaging facility. We have our warehouse guys rinse out used honey containers with hot water. They do this outside on the concrete slab. The water with honey then runs down the slab to the gravel area farther from the facility. Most of it drains off but some of it remains.

If the moisture content in honey rises much above 18%, a fermentation process begins. With the run-off being mostly water with a little honey, it has produced quite a sour odor and I'm sure it is harborage for all manner of bacteria and perfect for pest reproduction.

Is there something I can sprinkle or spray there that will reduce or nullify these problems we are having? I have thought of bleach but I am unsure of how harmful it will be.

Thank you for your time!

Kind regards,

Graham S

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Environmentally Friendly Cleaning Supplies
[Ad]

I would try one/both of these things

Dish soap and water (make a fairly strong solution like 1:100 ) and spray the area saturating it fully-wait a while then rinse

10% acetic acid, straight on the ground with a garden sprayer-do not rinse

I would try one/both of these things

Dish soap and water (make a fairly strong solution like 1:100 ) and spray the area saturating it fully-wait a while then rinse

10% acetic acid, straight on the ground with a garden sprayer-do not rinse

Hi Scampi,

Won't this replace one unwanted smell by another ?

The fundamental problem is presumably non-existence of a waste disposal system. Quick "fixes" sound distinctly unGreen to me.

I would agree that you should review your rinsing procedure.
Rinsing them out outside, leaving product in the area sounds like a pest-control nightmare.

I would design a rinsing / cleaning station inside of your facilities if you don't have it already.

1 Like

Similar Discussion Topics
Environmentally Friendly Cleaning Supplies