What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Non-GMO Certification

Started by , Jul 13 2022 08:26 PM
5 Replies

I have been tasked to look into what it would take for our to have a couple of our products be certified as Non-GMO.
We make imitation crab using surimi paste.  The upper management wants "The Butterfly Logo"

I've found a few places to contact to get quotes on getting certified.
Has anyone been thru the process to give me any tips?

Thanks!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Scope of Certification product specific Upcoming NSF Certification Audit HACCP certification for SQG Ed 9.0 - System Element 2.1.1.5 The why, what for and how on Food Equipment & Supplies Safety Certification The why, what for and how on Food Equipment & Supplies Safety Certification
[Ad]

Hello Miss Frankie, 

This blog gives excellent insight on what to expect. Non-GMO Testing and Certification: It doesn't have to be complicated 

"Butterfly logo certification" Non GMO Project. -  Home - The Non-GMO Project (nongmoproject.org)

They are looking for something similar to your allergen control program but for Non GMO Food ingredients and products. The certification would be an audit of your practices and to review the controls you have in place to prevent cross contamination in your facility. 

Good luck!  

1 Thank

It is basically a documentation audit.  They don’t visit your facility, typically, and it will take longer than expected as you have to go to your suppliers and get signed off docs from them.

My company just completed non-GMO verification certification through Non-GMO project.  It took a couple months longer than anticipated.  We used NSF as certification body. Originally we anticipated 2 to 3 months, but but it took about 5 months.  We have three facilities and 12 products to put it in perspective and we did all products and all facilities. 

1 Like

It is basically a documentation audit.  They don’t visit your facility, typically, and it will take longer than expected as you have to go to your suppliers and get signed off docs from them.

My company just completed non-GMO verification certification through Non-GMO project.  It took a couple months longer than anticipated.  We used NSF as certification body. Originally we anticipated 2 to 3 months, but but it took about 5 months.  We have three facilities and 12 products to put it in perspective and we did all products and all facilities. 

I would also point out that it will need to be reviewed/renewed annually.  If your suppliers are Non-GMO certified themsevles it is fairly easy, if they're not you have to go through some of the affidavit gathering again.

1 Like

We also did Non-GMO project through NSF.

Takes few months, some documents and its done. Not complicated.

A brand that we produce was all for the Butterfly, but the cost was not worth it to them in the long run.

Marshall

Similar Discussion Topics
Scope of Certification product specific Upcoming NSF Certification Audit HACCP certification for SQG Ed 9.0 - System Element 2.1.1.5 The why, what for and how on Food Equipment & Supplies Safety Certification The why, what for and how on Food Equipment & Supplies Safety Certification The why, what for and how on Food Equipment & Supplies Safety Certification First time Costco audit, no GFSI certification Retail Certification? Adding new building to BRCGS Issue 6 Certification HACCP and SQF Certification