What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to work out a representative number of samples to take for micro testing

Started by , Jul 20 2022 10:56 AM
5 Replies

Hi

Could anyone advise how to work out a representative number of samples to take for micro sample. What criteria is used to establish this.

Production runs at around 8T a week - so how many samples would we need to take to give a decent overview?

Thanks

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Hygenia Indicator Organism Testing Standard Operating Procedure vs Work Instruction RTE Products Ingredients Testing New Amazon Dietary Supplement Testing Policy Ambient air micro (APC, Y&M) limits
[Ad]

Depends on what you're making: I could say, if you make packed product (e.g. in containers, bottles, etc.) 1 item from the beginning of a batch, 1 - from middle, and 1 from the end would be quite representative. For bulk products - I'm not sure, let's wait what other experts say.

1 Thank

using an AQL calculator is probably a great way to start--it allows you see try some variables to see what your sampling plan might look like before you start mostly importantly your FG weight (8 tonnes may sound like a lot, but if your processing beef or turkey or corn-really not all that much)

https://qualityinspe...aql-calculator/

There are lots of AQL calculators available, just provided link of one I have used

1 Thank

Hi

Could anyone advise how to work out a representative number of samples to take for micro sample. What criteria is used to establish this.

Production runs at around 8T a week - so how many samples would we need to take to give a decent overview?

Thanks

Hi charlotte,

It depends on what micro. species you wish to evaluate and the type of objective of yr evaluation.

Try this thread plus the sub-link in Post 6 -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ng/#entry103482

PS - should add that if the context is for a "small", in-house micro. lab probably most of the textbook recommended sampling schemes are logistically impossible on a routine basis. IMEX, the end result is something like a weekly batch of analyses performed on a rotating basis with some prioritisation for more sensitive items, eg RTE products, new raw materials, etc.

1 Thank

It is crab and lobster processing - ready to eat products. Listeria, Salmonella, Ecoli, Staph, C Bot (for vac pac), Shigella, Vibrio.

I'll take a look at the links sent.

Thansk for your help everyone

:)

It is crab and lobster processing - ready to eat products. Listeria, Salmonella, Ecoli, Staph, C Bot (for vac pac), Shigella, Vibrio.

I'll take a look at the links sent.

Thansk for your help everyone

:)

Hi charlotte,

That is a heavy (and likely expensive) menu. I deduce samples to be sent to ext. lab.

Note 4/7 are not pathogens, per se.

I can almost guarantee "Vibrio" will be positive. :smile:

Similar Discussion Topics
Hygenia Indicator Organism Testing Standard Operating Procedure vs Work Instruction RTE Products Ingredients Testing New Amazon Dietary Supplement Testing Policy Ambient air micro (APC, Y&M) limits Heavy Metals Testing Unit Conversion Establishing Limits for Compressed Air Testing Environmental Testing Limits For Dry Pulse Processing Facility Lost 3 months of work updating documentation Requirements for Work In Process WIP