What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to check thawing effects on the quality and safety of the product?

Started by , Aug 05 2022 12:21 PM
6 Replies
Hi all!

Looking for some advice;

We have a frozen product that we want to defrost (in controlled conditions) and then pack into its final packaging.

What is the best way to check to what extent the thawing affects the quality and safety of the product?

- organoleptic analyses?
- microbiological analyses?
- certain physicochemical parameters?

And i guess we compare against the frozen product?

Thank you all!

Have a nice weekend,
Jens
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Food Safety, RTE Products, Risk Assessments, and Laboratory Testing Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Food safety culture
[Ad]

Hi all!

Looking for some advice;

We have a frozen product that we want to defrost (in controlled conditions) and then pack into its final packaging.

What is the best way to check to what extent the thawing affects the quality and safety of the product?

- organoleptic analyses?
- microbiological analyses?
- certain physicochemical parameters?

And i guess we compare against the frozen product?

Thank you all!

Have a nice weekend,
Jens

Potentially one, two, or all three of those - it's very much going to depend on the product and process.

You may also be able to find published literature that is relevant, so you could start with a review of that if available.

1 Like

Not sure about micro, but organoleptics and physicochemicals - definitely. And yes, that would very much depend on the nature of your product and processes.

1 Like

Not sure about micro, but organoleptics and physicochemicals - definitely. And yes, that would very much depend on the nature of your product and processes.

Hi olenazh

Interesting - in which cases wouldn't you consider micro?

For physicochemicals, which possible parameters should I think of, regardless product type?

If products were produced safe, thawing wouldn't add any micro load (provided, thawing is done aseptically). Physicochemical - texture, water activity, color possibly, weight...

Hi olenazh

Interesting - in which cases wouldn't you consider micro?

For physicochemicals, which possible parameters should I think of, regardless product type?

Hi JensV,

So (bated breath) what is/was the Product ? :smile:

Hi JensV,

So (bated breath) what is/was the Product ? :smile:

Plant based alternatives for fish sticks, meat burgers, sausages, ... 

These all can have an initial microbiological load. After thawing, therefore, limited shelf life.

So what I would do is comparison of microbiology, organoleptic properties (including appearance of the product), water activity and weight loss.

Similar Discussion Topics
Food Safety, RTE Products, Risk Assessments, and Laboratory Testing Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Food safety culture plan fssc22000 v6 Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Food safety culture Food Safety Additionally requirements Thawing of Cooked meats for RTE products Example of How to Assess Your Food Safety Culture Scope of Certification product specific Stainless-steel grades for product-contact equipment