What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Water testing limits where water isn't used in the process

Started by , Aug 19 2022 10:07 AM
10 Replies

Hello IFSN,

We have historically tested water annually as it is not used in the process (Egg packing centre, UK) only for drinking water. I have checked previous posts to this and I am struggling to find the limits and items to test for present in the water.

Any advice on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for any replies

Regards 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Glove Dip Station filled with water and chlorine - is this normal? OPP Packaging leavening milky residue when in contact with water Reusable Water Bottles on plant floor Specifications for Micro Testing of Water used in Food Production Water Concentration recommended for a cooling bath using Sodium hypochlorite 12.5%
[Ad]

Addition, we currently test for:

TVC @ 37C for 48h

TVC @ 22c for 68h

Coliforms

E.Coli

Pseudomonas aeruginosa

Sulphite reducing Clostridia

Enterococci 

I work in packaging and we get out water tested annually, again it is not used in production at all.  Through the guidance of the lab I worked with we test for: Total coliforms, E. Coli, Nitrate as N (Calc), Nitrate-Nitrate as N, Nitrite as N and Turbidity.  The last four mainly to compare to the water report we get from our public water supplier.  Benn through an audit and this was acceptable.

1 Like1 Thank

I work in packaging and we get out water tested annually, again it is not used in production at all.  Through the guidance of the lab I worked with we test for: Total coliforms, E. Coli, Nitrate as N (Calc), Nitrate-Nitrate as N, Nitrite as N and Turbidity.  The last four mainly to compare to the water report we get from our public water supplier.  Benn through an audit and this was acceptable.

Many thanks for the reply. Do you have an idea of the limits you allow?

Total coliforms and E. Coli we like to see results as 'Absent'.  Nitrate and Nitrite we were looking for less than 10.  Turbidity less than 1.

1 Thank

Is this incoming UK mains?

If you don't already have copies, get in touch with your water supplier as they should be able to share their own analytical results. In some regions these can be downloaded directly from their website by putting your postcode in.

Beyond that, presumably all you're trying to do is demonstrate that the water is potable in that it complies with the Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 2016, which IIRC only specifies Enteros and E. coli both as 0 per 100ml as the "absolute" micro parameters at the consumer end.

Additionally there are "indicator" parameters of: C. perfringens at 0 per 100ml, coliforms at 0 per 100ml, and colony count (at 22C) per ml of "no abnormal change".

Using this as the basis for your scope should more than suffice, IMO.

I wouldn't particularly expect to need to do any chemical analysis, particularly if you're obtaining the results for this from the water supplier. I have had to do some myself in some places, but that's been where the water is used as an ingredient and there are specific process-related implications for some chemicals that are expected to be present.

1 Like2 Thanks

Is this incoming UK mains?

If you don't already have copies, get in touch with your water supplier as they should be able to share their own analytical results. In some regions these can be downloaded directly from their website by putting your postcode in.

Beyond that, presumably all you're trying to do is demonstrate that the water is potable in that it complies with the Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 2016, which IIRC only specifies Enteros and E. coli both as 0 per 100ml as the "absolute" micro parameters at the consumer end.

Additionally there are "indicator" parameters of: C. perfringens at 0 per 100ml, coliforms at 0 per 100ml, and colony count (at 22C) per ml of "no abnormal change".

Using this as the basis for your scope should more than suffice, IMO.

I wouldn't particularly expect to need to do any chemical analysis, particularly if you're obtaining the results for this from the water supplier. I have had to do some myself in some places, but that's been where the water is used as an ingredient and there are specific process-related implications for some chemicals that are expected to be present.

Many thanks for this answer. We do indeed download a potability report from our mains water supplier annually along with the annual micro testing for potability. This has helped me think about changing our policies pertaining to water potability.

Thanks again :D 

While we get a water report from the suppliers of both spring and general city water source we also run 3 locations gor testing on a monthly basis - I will rely on someone else's testing information.
I hate auto correct - I meant to say that I will not rely on someone elses testing information.

you could give a look to the DIRETTIVA (UE) 2020/2184

Your local public health should have that information for you since it's drinking water only

Similar Discussion Topics
Glove Dip Station filled with water and chlorine - is this normal? OPP Packaging leavening milky residue when in contact with water Reusable Water Bottles on plant floor Specifications for Micro Testing of Water used in Food Production Water Concentration recommended for a cooling bath using Sodium hypochlorite 12.5% Water hoses and nozzles - maintenance and cleaning schedule Customer complaints for excess water in onions Shipping of salted casings and water retention regulation Is Water testing required for SQF Storage and Distribution site? Water testing at new facility