What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Are yeast counts of 10K in raw flax seed a health concern?

Started by , Sep 27 2022 12:46 AM
2 Replies

Hi all,

I live in Australia and as a food supplier/ingredients company are ruled by the conservative FASNZ for food safety. I'm a former academic researcher and have been searching the literature for any evidence that a high yeast count on raw flaxseed is a problem. So far have found no evidence that it is.

Anyone from Australia know the answer?

Thanks, DrTUI

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Health Benefits of Ghee Health & Safety Risk Assessment SQF Code 10.4.4.2 - Visitor Health How to state Air / Yeast & Mould count ? Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing
[Ad]

Greetings DrTUI,

Generally, yeasts do not pose a biological hazard in food. They may produce enzymes or toxins which are considered chemical hazards, hence they are considered members of the spoilage organism group.

There are some countries/areas who have some general guidelines (eg Colorado State). I don't know what you consider a high count, but it is a problem, since yeasts, as well as molds, can grow virtually on anything and produce even higher counts than initially measured. It may not impact safety directly, but it will surely impact quality and depending on the strains indirectly (toxins etc).

So a high count is an indicator as to the general hygiene.

Regards!

I believe Yeast counts of 10,000 per gram in raw flax seed are not a health concern.
This is much lower than the yeast count in most other foods and beverages. The high yeast content in many processed foods and drinks can result in potentially harmful effects such as digestive issues, fatigue, joint pain, or heart disease. Yeast can slow down your body's natural ability to fight infection by causing an increase in inflammation.

Limiting your intake of processed foods and drinking plenty of water may be a healthier option.

Similar Discussion Topics
Health Benefits of Ghee Health & Safety Risk Assessment SQF Code 10.4.4.2 - Visitor Health How to state Air / Yeast & Mould count ? Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing Burger Quality Concern Greasiness FDA Regulation of Customer Reviews: DS Health Claims Health Star Rating System - Australia Acceptable Yeast and Mold limits for Fruit Fillings Micro-testing (E.Coli, Salmonella, Yeast and Mold) for supplier