What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Prohibited substances in food

Started by , Sep 29 2022 07:45 AM
1 Reply

As per CFR title 21, part 189 about Prohibited Substances for use in Food, there is a list of 17 substances that are prohibited in food. Does anyone know if there is any laboratory in the US can do the testing for them? We don't use those in our products but are worried that there may be residues from other ingredients and in-direct contact. 

Some of the substances in the list are: calamus, cinnamyl anthranilate, coumarin, cobaltous salts, cyclamate, Diethylpyrocarbonate (DEPC), Dulcin, Monochloroacetic acid, Nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA), P-4000, Safrole, Thiourea, Chlorofluorocarbon, Flectol H., Mercaptoimidazoline and 2-mercaptoimidazoline, 4,4-Methylenebis (2-chloroanaline), Hydrogenated 4,4-isopropylidenediphenolphosphite ester resins...

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Is PVC food packaging prohibited in Europe?
[Ad]

Good morning,

I found a few but I cannot attest to how good they are since I do not have experience with this process.  I would recommend searching "food testing for prohibited substances."  Here is a program that I found pretty quickly on the search:

CTI - China's leading TIC SERVICE PROVIDER (cti-cert.com)

Since the list of restricted substances is governed by USDA you can always send the question to AskFSIS.  That is probably the route that I would take.

askFSIS | Food Safety and Inspection Service (usda.gov)

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

1 Like1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Is PVC food packaging prohibited in Europe?