What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Still deciding which GFSI scheme to use

Started by , Oct 21 2022 06:11 PM
10 Replies

I'm sure this question have been asked before but I would like to pose it again.

Which food safety system scheme would you choose if you have the luxury to start all over again?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
First time Costco audit, no GFSI certification Which microbials should a pre-packaged food be tested for to be GFSI certified? Is it possible to pass a GFSI audit with a poor food safety culture? FSSC publishes Version 6 of the FSSC 22000 scheme GFSI Certified and Allergen Free Repacking
[Ad]
I've audited fssc, ifs, sqf, etc and consulted on global gap, SQF, brc, ifs, primus, etc.

First love and the alwaya love is SQF.

Now colaborating with partners for two new food companies - yup, SQF again.
1 Like1 Thank

I see. Thank you very much for your input. I do find if starting from scratch, SQF is simple and to the point.

Eva

I've audited fssc, ifs, sqf, etc and consulted on global gap, SQF, brc, ifs, primus, etc.

First love and the alwaya love is SQF.

Now colaborating with partners for two new food companies - yup, SQF again.

IMHO it kind of depends on what you're doing as well.   We're a dry mix company, and for us, I'd probably still choose fssc 22k.   There's some things I dislike about it, but other things I really do like and wouldn't trade off.

1 Like1 Thank

What country are you, and/or the majority of your key customers, located in?
Whilst there is theoretical GFSI equivalence, there very definitely are some regional preferences.

IMEX it can be very tedious jumping through hoops to keep customers happy when you've already done one of these certifications, simply because it's not the one that one (or several) important customer(s) prefer, so that would have a major bearing on my choice of which to implement.

1 Like

In Canada, customers in Europe and North America. Thanks for your input @PHruit

What country are you, and/or the majority of your key customers, located in?
Whilst there is theoretical GFSI equivalence, there very definitely are some regional preferences.

IMEX it can be very tedious jumping through hoops to keep customers happy when you've already done one of these certifications, simply because it's not the one that one (or several) important customer(s) prefer, so that would have a major bearing on my choice of which to implement.

Having been through the experience of 2 customer audits a week, most weeks of the year, I'm all for the food safety certification schemes.

There aren't many I haven't worked with and I'm with pHruit, I would implement whatever certification scheme my customers prefer, especially if it means less customer audits.

Kind regards,

Tony

2 Likes1 Thank

Having been through the experience of 2 customer audits a week, most weeks of the year, I'm all for the food safety certification schemes.

There aren't many I haven't worked with and I'm with pHruit, I would implement whatever certification scheme my customers prefer, especially if it means less customer audits.

Kind regards,

Tony

We need more customers! I'm kidding, but in reality, customers can always leave as well. 

I posed the same question to my team. Most are engaged at the idea of having a choice, asking what the difference are...etc. We're leaning towards the SQF, as they've expressed they like the challenge. We still have plenty of time to decide. But the engagement is encouraging. 

I have experience with IFS, FSSC 22000 and SQF. However, I find them similar. There is not a major difference in terms of the content. However, the following things need to be considered when you choose any GFSI standard: 

1. Initial cost

2. Maintenance cost (annual audits)

3. Online reporting and online CAR tracking system

4. Availability of lead auditors

5. Availability and affordability of initial training for the your employees (internal auditing, documentation, maybe infrastructural changes) 

I would choose BRC, assuming that most of the customers of the company I work for require it.

5 months later, I am posting again: I would say that if I have a strong GMP in place. I do not need any GFSI standard. In the US, if I can meet the requirements of Title 21, Chapter 1, Subchapter B, Part 117. You do not need to spend money and let other people come tell you that you used a red pen, or your sanitation records are weak or your door sweep is not working or your employee does not know how to wash hands. Instead I will improve these things internally, but not have any GFSI. 

However, if a GFSI recognized standard is required by my customers, then, I have no choice. I have to spend several thousands to make my customer happy. 

Similar Discussion Topics
First time Costco audit, no GFSI certification Which microbials should a pre-packaged food be tested for to be GFSI certified? Is it possible to pass a GFSI audit with a poor food safety culture? FSSC publishes Version 6 of the FSSC 22000 scheme GFSI Certified and Allergen Free Repacking How to approve suppliers without a GFSI recognized certificate? What is GFSI and How Does It Apply to Compressed Air? What is GFSI and How Does It Apply to Compressed Air? What is GFSI and How Does It Apply to Compressed Air? Choosing the right GFSI Certification