What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

USDA Pest Sighting- Plant shutdown

Started by , Nov 02 2022 06:35 PM
6 Replies

My facility was recently assigned a new USDA inspector. She told me today that she was directed by her supervisor to shut down a production facility for two days if any rodent or signs of rodent activity are present. 

Is this an actual requirement? I do not see any USDA literature that backs up this statement. 

For FSSC if there is any evidence of pests but evidence or sighting were documented in pest control program and corrective actions put in place there is no adverse consequence. 

I am not sure if I am missing something here or if this inspector is trying to overexert authority. 

All advise appreciated! 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
USDA and pork broth USDA inspected products USDA notification Withdrawals Packaging of pre cook chicken already approved by USDA Validation for USDA
[Ad]

Yes, they can shut you down until they feel it's acceptable to start production back up. I don't know how 2 days was determined since its typically based on whether you pass reinspection.

9 CFR 416.6 Tagging insanitary equipment, utensils, rooms or compartments.

When an FSIS program employee finds that any equipment, utensil, room, or compartment at an official establishment is insanitary or that its use could cause the adulteration of product, he will attach to it a “U.S. Rejected” tag. Equipment, utensils, rooms, or compartments so tagged cannot be used until made acceptable. Only an FSIS program employee may remove a “U.S. Rejected” tag.

It's important to note that GFSI programs have ZERO authority over your facility, other than suspension of certification, which you voluntarily requested

Your REGULATORY body is the one that allows you to remain operational (ISDA, FSIS, FDA etc)

2 Likes

Has your facility had issues with rodent control recently?  It seems odd to have the demand come out of the blue like this, usually such an order is the result of ongoing inspections that have uncovered an underlying problem.

Has your facility had issues with rodent control recently?  It seems odd to have the demand come out of the blue like this, usually such an order is the result of ongoing inspections that have uncovered an underlying problem.

We have not had any recent pest control issues, although we are in an older building which could be grounds for pest problems if not properly maintained. We have a robust pest control program and licensed operator, but she has informed me that even a rodent caught in a trap would be cause for plant shutdown. 

I believe that location of any rodent activity matters. To find a rodent or evidence of one, in your actual production area, inside your facility and protected by layers of catch traps would be quite different than a catch at your outside perimeter.

I don't recall any specific regulation. You could ask which one her boss is citing on this. Another option - ask FSIS now known as ask USDA - https://ask.usda.gov/s/

I have referenced this website many times as an explanation a USDA inspector's question which was acceptable.

Similar Discussion Topics
USDA and pork broth USDA inspected products USDA notification Withdrawals Packaging of pre cook chicken already approved by USDA Validation for USDA USDA Labeling Evaluation USDA and Duck Hazards Exemption from USDA and FDA Compliance for Labeling of Free Spice Powder Product USDA COA or COCs requirements USDA Permit to ship non-denatured inedible meat byproducts