What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Flow Diagram Confirmation

Started by , Nov 07 2022 02:02 PM

ignore the auditor    you've covered the element

10 Replies

In past places I've worked at we had tried to fit in all of the teams signatures on the Flow Diagram itself.  At my current place, I created a sign off sheet at the end that states: 'HACCP Plan approved and Flow Diagram confirmed by' and then lists the HACCP/Food Safety team and we sign.  During our audit this year the auditor questioned it and spent about 10 minutes discussing it.  Eventually they decided it was ok, but remarked that we really should have the signatures on the Flow Diagram.  This is for SQF certification.  Looking to see if anyone else has experienced this and should we just go back to signing the diagram or is how it currently is ok and we should just move on from the auditors comments?

The SQF code says: Each flow diagram shall be confirmed by the food safety team to cover all stages and hours of operation.  It doesn't state confirmation has to be on the diagram itself.  I then feel that what we have is sufficient and we shouldn't linger on the comment.  Thoughts?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Flow Charts and Hazard Analysis Should you list your preventative controls on your HACCP process flow chart? HACCP Flow charts and 'confidentiality' Does the freezer need to be on the flow chart as a preventative control HACCP Flow Import and Export
[Ad]

ignore the auditor    you've covered the element

1 Thank
The way you have done this is pretty much like ours. We have signed off on the Team Meeting minutes that these items (HACCP, Risk Analysis, etc.) were acceptable.
1 Thank

We just have the HACCP team leader sign off on the flow charts, but do have the minutes from the meeting(s) when it was discussed and all in attendance were listed.

1 Thank

In past places I've worked at we had tried to fit in all of the teams signatures on the Flow Diagram itself.  At my current place, I created a sign off sheet at the end that states: 'HACCP Plan approved and Flow Diagram confirmed by' and then lists the HACCP/Food Safety team and we sign.  During our audit this year the auditor questioned it and spent about 10 minutes discussing it.  Eventually they decided it was ok, but remarked that we really should have the signatures on the Flow Diagram.  This is for SQF certification.  Looking to see if anyone else has experienced this and should we just go back to signing the diagram or is how it currently is ok and we should just move on from the auditors comments?

The SQF code says: Each flow diagram shall be confirmed by the food safety team to cover all stages and hours of operation.  It doesn't state confirmation has to be on the diagram itself.  I then feel that what we have is sufficient and we shouldn't linger on the comment.  Thoughts?

Hi Scotty,

Auditor nitpicking. Did you Score 99 ? :smile:

1 Like

Hi Scotty_SQF,

The SQF Food Safety Code Edition 9 requirements are outlined in 2.4.3 Food Safety Plan (Mandatory) 2.4.3.6:

The food safety team shall develop and document a flow diagram covering the scope of each food safety plan. The flow diagram shall include every step in the process, all raw materials, packaging, service inputs (e.g., water, steam, gasses as applicable), scheduled process delays, and all process outputs including waste and rework. Each flow diagram shall be confirmed by the food safety team to cover all stages and hours of operation.

It doesn't state any expectations regarding the confirmation although previous guidance stated “The HACCP team leader must sign off on the flow diagram”.

I believe all the food safety team should be signing this off and own it collectively, to add to that the auditor requires proof that the flow diagram has been confirmed by the food safety team.

Names/Signatures/Date Table for the Team on the bottom of the Flow Diagram document stating they confirm the version of the flow diagram is correct is sufficient proof as far as I am concerned. I don’t see the need for a separate sheet as you will then need to ensure the correct revision number has been referenced/confirmed.

I’m sure you’ve got bigger fish to fry than worry about this though  :smile:

Kind regards,

Tony

1 Like

Hi Tony,

I get yr ownership comment but from a documentation POV, it is maybe simpler that the Team Leader should be responsible for and authorised  to sign on behalf of the FS Team.

Just an opinion. :smile:

That's the beauty of SQF...it doesn't tell you how you have to do things; there are many ways to skin a cat.  You just need to provide enough explanation where the auditor feels comfortable you've met the code element.

I am going through the same thing at this very moment...in the midst of an SQF audit with an auditor questioning everything, but also saying "You have very good programs and procedures...".  You kind of can't have both....if you must question every little thing.  Audit time was 2.5 days per proposal and we are pushing into 3rd day and auditor nowhere close to finishing.  Absurd.  But hey...could be worse.

1 Like

In both facilities I've worked at, we've had one signature page with all the team members.  Then the HACCP leader signs at the end of each section.
Haven't had an auditor question it yet.

Auditor over-reach.

What you are doing is fine and as a former SQF Auditor I woukd have accepted that without comment.
1 Thank

I had an auditor do the same thing- so now we all sign the flow diagram every year.  Honestly it wasn't worth it to argue, and it was a quick fix.

I agree its over-reaching, but it is what it is.

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Flow Charts and Hazard Analysis Should you list your preventative controls on your HACCP process flow chart? HACCP Flow charts and 'confidentiality' Does the freezer need to be on the flow chart as a preventative control HACCP Flow Import and Export HACCP Flow Waste Including Scrap on a HACCP flow diagram? Flow Diagram Confirmation at all operation stages BRCGS 4.3.1 - Layout, Product Flow and Segregation SQF 2.4.3.6 - Fumigation Flow Diagram