What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Labeling of inedible cheese rind

Started by , Nov 17 2022 06:32 PM
6 Replies

Is it required to list the ingredients of an inedible rind in the ingredient statement of a cheese product? Or, is it sufficient to list "inedible rind" at the end of the ingredient statement? The rind contains colorings and preservatives.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Automatic Labeling System Customer labeling of frozen pizza Scale Labeling Machine USFDA Food Labeling Date format USDA Labeling Evaluation
[Ad]
Giving this a bump, because I do not know the answer.

Any Cheese Makers out there ready to help?
thanks~

Sorry about off-topic question: why does a ring contain preservatives? And what kind of colors and preservatives does it have: edible or inedible?

The preservatives are for protection from external contamination (yeast, mold, etc.). The colors are for aesthetic purposes. The ones being used are permitted for use in foods.

1 Thank

I could not find anything on the USDA site 

My gut tells me that as long as it cannot be reasonably mistaken for a food, you should not have to list the ingredients

I googled babybell cheese (as an example) zero mention of the wax coating on each piece--under USDA for cheese, wax is classified as a rind as for as I could tell

https://www.babybel.com/en-us/original

1 Thank

I am not from the USA but I did cheese QA in another life.
In the EU you do not declare the ingredients for the inedible rinds. You do have to make a statement that the rind should be removed before consumption.

I would think that the same applies for the US. Especially after Scampi's check on babybell.

Never manufactured cheese, but I agree with Marloes.  I wouldn't bother with it as an ingredient, but I would add a disclaimer on the package to remove from rind before consuming (because someday, someone will eat the darned thing and claim you never told them not to).

1 Like

Similar Discussion Topics
Automatic Labeling System Customer labeling of frozen pizza Scale Labeling Machine USFDA Food Labeling Date format USDA Labeling Evaluation Allergen Labeling Seafood Unrefined oil allergen labeling Retail Labeling Labeling Ready Meals as Bake SQF and FDA guidelines for labeling