What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Can acetone be used as a cleaning solvent in food contact equipment?

Started by , Feb 08 2023 03:50 PM
12 Replies

Hi all,

I have a supplier that will decant/repack essential oils for us. 

Apparently, the supplier use acetone to clean the decanting pump. 

I know that acetone can be used as an extraction solvent in food.

Thank you so much in advance.

Regards,

Elsa

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Inquiry about food safety culture elements Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Steel-it epoxy paint for equipment product-contact surfaces Food Engineer | Skilled Confectionery Recipe Developer with QA & Regulatory Expertise Food Safety Culture in a Low Risk Product Facility (Wine)
[Ad]

Not sure about in Europe.  I have seen it used to clean rollers in the packaging industry in the US.  When I have asked about it, I had been told that is considered GRAS by the FDA.  We all know the questions arising from GRAS.  I did some research and found in terms of the FDA that they determined acetone is safe for use as an indirect food additive in adhesives and food contact coatings.

I am unfamiliar with essential oils as being food contact.  Having said that if there is any uncertainty, I would look into other avenues to clean food contact equipment in my opinion.  'We clean our equipment with Acetone', just doesn't sound good especially knowing its main use is a nail polish remover and paint thinner/remover.  

Thank you for your help.

I will be looking into an alternative solvent.

Acetone has been rated as a generally recognized as safe (GRAS) substance when present in beverages, baked foods, desserts, and preserves at concentrations ranging from 5 to 8 mg/L. Acetone is however an irritant, causing mild skin irritation and moderate to severe eye irritation.

See FEMA link below

https://www.femaflav...library/acetone

If the substance is GRAS at levels of 5-8 ppm, why wouldn't it be allowed for food contact? Is it the best for food equipment cleaning? Depends on the equipment and what the supplier's hazard analysis looks like.

https://www.accessda....cfm?fr=173.210 - this also might help - not necessarily for essential oils but it gives impression that there might be guidance out there that recommends the level that can be in essential oils after extraction

Thank you so much!

Aslo - this may of be great help

https://greenfield.c...ent-Acetone.pdf

You could also ask the supplier for COA confirming that the acetone is not more than a certain level.

1 Thank

I would suggest ethanol as an alternative

In Canada, you have to get special permission over certain quantities (check your local regulations)

we used it in the cannabis industry on the equipment making capsules with no objection from Health Canada

1 Thank

Why are you asking about food contact materials? Are they dealing with foods in addition to essential oils?

Hi SHQuality,

Some essential oils may be used on the flavour and food industry. 

Hi SHQuality,

Some essential oils may be used on the flavour and food industry. 

Quite a bit are used, not just some.  They are a necessary component / ingredient of most natural flavors.

https://www.legislat.../1993/1658/made - this might be useful since it is the regulation of the UK

I am guessing they are also using the solvent as an extraction before distillation and collection of the oils - correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you so much for all your help jdpaul!

No solvent is used to extract the oils. The oils are obtained only by steam distillation.

Had to hop in on this- not sure of any UK regulations, but I'm 99 percent sure the acetone shall be evaporated either through the cycle of distillation if not prior to plant matter or matter being extracted.

As most general methods using a solvent IN EXTRACTION  by the end they are essentially purging them through oxidization or evaporation.

-a googling confirms my idea (should get a lab job eh..)

Dec 3, 2022Yes, pure acetone should evaporate entirely. We use it a lot in the lab as a final rinse, and that is partly to make sure the glassware is dry ...

Similar Discussion Topics
Inquiry about food safety culture elements Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Steel-it epoxy paint for equipment product-contact surfaces Food Engineer | Skilled Confectionery Recipe Developer with QA & Regulatory Expertise Food Safety Culture in a Low Risk Product Facility (Wine) Food loss and waste policy Is 316 stainless steel necessary as opposed to 304 stainless steel for food-contact surfaces on equipment? Banned and Restricted Food Colors in the UK (FSA) Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Food Safety Day 2024 - Prepare for the unexpected