What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

If a food expiration date or best by date is a month is that first or last day of the month?

Started by , Feb 14 2023 08:37 AM
9 Replies

If a food expiration date or best by date is only given in month/year, is the true date the first of the month or last of the month?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Inquiry about food safety culture elements Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Food Engineer | Skilled Confectionery Recipe Developer with QA & Regulatory Expertise Food Safety Culture in a Low Risk Product Facility (Wine) Food loss and waste policy
[Ad]

If a food expiration date or best by date is only given in month/year, is the true date the first of the month or last of the month?

Under Indian Legal Jurisdictions ?

1 Like

Under Indian Legal Jurisdictions ?

No, In general

Generally speaking, it should be good until the end of that month.

3 Likes

Generally speaking an expiration date includes the day/month/year

Best before are subjective , if it says May 23, I would think you'd have the entire month--------bear in mind a best before ONLY relates to organoleptic characteristics (colour, smell etc.) and not food safety concerns

1 Like

If there is one thing that is misunderstood by consumers, it's dates.

"Best Before" is NOT an expiration date it's about optimal organoleptic properties, not safety. 

If a product runs the risk of expiring, it should read "expiry date", "expiration date" or something similar.

1 Like

If there is one thing that is misunderstood by consumers, it's dates.

"Best Before" is NOT an expiration date it's about optimal organoleptic properties, not safety. 

If a product runs the risk of expiring, it should read "expiry date", "expiration date" or something similar.

Thanks for your input

In case you missed it, I have liked Scampi's answer because I agree with it.

IIRC, in USA, date labelling is merely a suggestion with no legal relevance.

eg, {post 3} there may well be no "General" but a variety of "specifics."

To clarify my earlier post. If the product were to expire earlier in the month, it wouldn't be able to get a month/year formatted date in the first place. You'd have a full date instead.

Similar Discussion Topics
Inquiry about food safety culture elements Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Food Engineer | Skilled Confectionery Recipe Developer with QA & Regulatory Expertise Food Safety Culture in a Low Risk Product Facility (Wine) Food loss and waste policy Is 316 stainless steel necessary as opposed to 304 stainless steel for food-contact surfaces on equipment? Banned and Restricted Food Colors in the UK (FSA) Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Food Safety Day 2024 - Prepare for the unexpected NC for using non food grade oil in a compressor