What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

SQF 11.7.3.9 - Control of Foreign Matter Contamination

Started by , Feb 16 2023 04:53 AM
7 Replies

Hi,

I would like to ask how others implement the following SQF requirement:

11.7.3.9 Gaskets, rubber impellers, and other equipment made of materials that can wear or deteriorate over time shall be inspected on a regular frequency.

We have a mono pump used in our process and I am wanting to know how others inspect the pump for preventative maintenance, in particular the stator, gaskets and seals.  Is a full physical break down of the pump necessary?  Also what frequency do you conduct the inspection?

Thanking you in advance.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Is pulling the cords out from the ear buds a risk to contamination? Allowable Preservative Levels in Foreign Countries (specifically South Korea) Document Control Salary for Quality Control Supervisor BRCGS 5.4.1 Process control
[Ad]
They should go into your preventative maintenance schedule.
The job- card should be either 'inspection' of 'xy' gasket or 'gaskets on 'xy' machine.
You should also set a timeframe for changing them.
When it comes to pumps, no one opens a pump unless they really really have to, so the gaskets and seals just get changed when you do preventative maintenance on the pump (2 x a year or yearly, depending on the usage, risk assessment etc). Usually the maintenance department decide the frequency based on their experience with the pump. They will tend to set the timeframe for as long as they possibly can 😉 from my experience.
Have you got any process filters after the pump? Just curious.
Does that help? 🙂
1 Like

We use preventative maintenance or pre-op to inspect depending on the item.

They should go into your preventative maintenance schedule.
The job- card should be either 'inspection' of 'xy' gasket or 'gaskets on 'xy' machine.
You should also set a timeframe for changing them.
When it comes to pumps, no one opens a pump unless they really really have to, so the gaskets and seals just get changed when you do preventative maintenance on the pump (2 x a year or yearly, depending on the usage, risk assessment etc). Usually the maintenance department decide the frequency based on their experience with the pump. They will tend to set the timeframe for as long as they possibly can 😉 from my experience.
Have you got any process filters after the pump? Just curious.
Does that help? 🙂

Thanks AJL, yes we do have a filter post the pump.

The issue is that this production line is only used maximum 2 -3 times a month, so the pump has little wear.  We have only had one issue with it in the 10 years that I have been here.  Also the pump is not easily dismantled.  In saying that, without inspection we will not know if or when the stator is going to fail.  

Hmmm the maintenance frequency should reflect the number of hours it runs for. 😊=Risk based. I am not an engineer but I would recommend at least yearly anyway, it gets dismantled and inspected. But good luck negotiating that with your maintenance department 🙈
I have a focus on microbiology too and if things like pumps don't get inspected and taken apart often enough they can pose a risk.
In terms of compliance, you need to have your maintenance team ready to defend their risk based frequency of inspection.
You can say that the filter is your verification to a degree- it should catch worn gaskets and (gasp) metal if the pump gets worn and grinds on itself (can happen ,😪)
1 Like1 Thank

Hi Julz,

To add to previous posts, the manufacturer of the pump should be providing guidelines/instructions for inspection and maintenance.

Kind regards,

Tony

1 Like1 Thank
Yes great point Tony. 😊
With some of the older equipment it isn't always easy to dig up manuals and guidance but yes that's the best place to go to- then compliance wise you can refer to the manufacturers instructions.
We have some newer equipment so it shows on the screen after a certain amount of hours that the pump needs a service. 😅
1 Like

Unless the manual or manufacturer says otherwise, I would open up the machine completely at least once a year, especially when there are components that are not easily accessible that might need replacing or maintaining.

I would push for twice a year. If there is a lack of information, you need to collect data to see how long it takes to wear out without running into issues when it happens sooner than expected.

1 Like

Similar Discussion Topics
Is pulling the cords out from the ear buds a risk to contamination? Allowable Preservative Levels in Foreign Countries (specifically South Korea) Document Control Salary for Quality Control Supervisor BRCGS 5.4.1 Process control Questions used to determine the critical control point Control of nitrile gloves Does the freezer need to be on the flow chart as a preventative control Trader Joe’s dumplings recall due to possible contamination with hard plastic from a permanent marker SQF Requirements - Pest Control