What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Food Distribution and Storage Company - We want to store and sell pet food and accessories

Started by , Mar 20 2023 11:20 PM
4 Replies

Hi, I'm working with a Food Distributor who wants to store and sell (distribute) pet food and pet accessories.  I wanted to know if there is any precaution to take when storing human food and pet food in the same building. Can the pet food be segregated from the human food? If so what other precautions do I need to consider?

In the CFR 21 Part 507 it states that i can use the regulations from Part 117 instead for some subchapters. 

Looking at the SQF code, I can't seem to find something regarding human food and pet food in the same building just for distribution. There's no food processing or any other process except holding. 

If I need to post more information let me know. 

Thanks to everyone. 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Example of How to Assess Your Food Safety Culture Food Fraud for Storage and Distribution Warehouse Any food product naming policy in EU? Storing food ingredients in same warehouse as food contact packaging Utilization of Grape Seeds and analysis of potential applications in the food industry.
[Ad]
Since your facility is not manufacturing food and you are only passing thur un opened containers you would use the SQF CODE for storage and distribution.

You can not comingle the human food and the pet food, thus you would need segregation.
1 Like1 Thank

Thank you for answering, 

Yes we currently have the SQF Code for Storage and Distribution. When talking about segregation, would it be ok, for example: if the pet food(sealed) is near the human food (sealed) but not in the same pallete? (Two different palettes) or would be required to be apart in two areas per se (one for human food and one for pet food). 

Also can they be in the same rack? I was thinking of treating it like allergens where the pet food pallette wouldn't be on top of human food. 

No matter how careful you are, sometimes a wrong product is delivered. You want to separate the human food and the pet food, so it is impossible to send pet food to humans or vice versa.

1 Like1 Thank

What about transportion? Could I be able to transport both Pet and Human food together?

Similar Discussion Topics
Example of How to Assess Your Food Safety Culture Food Fraud for Storage and Distribution Warehouse Any food product naming policy in EU? Storing food ingredients in same warehouse as food contact packaging Utilization of Grape Seeds and analysis of potential applications in the food industry. Food Fraud & Food Defense Micro. Guidelines for Food Contact Surfaces Food Fraud Vulnerability Assessment (VACCP) and Food Defence (TACCP) and their Mitigation Plans NC for using non food grade oil in a compressor Utilization of Grape Seeds and analysis of potential applications in the food industry.