What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

BRC issue 9 new requirements on equipment

Started by , May 12 2023 03:28 AM
5 Replies
I am new here would like to ask some help for related procedure on commissioning equpipment in food industry following new requirement of BRC issue9
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Packaging Materials Issue 7 Draft Steel-it epoxy paint for equipment product-contact surfaces Traceability issue with product receiving? Is 316 stainless steel necessary as opposed to 304 stainless steel for food-contact surfaces on equipment? Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements
[Ad]

I am new here would like to ask some help for related procedure on commissioning equpipment in food industry following new requirement of BRC issue9

Hi Maj3sticqa,

I presume you mean clause 4.6.3 -

BRC9 commissioning.PNG   40.29KB   0 downloads

What kind of help required ?

1 Like

There have been discussions and samples provided in these forums:

BRCGS v 9 4.6 - Equipment Purchasing and Commissioning

Template for conducting a food safety assessment of equipment

Kind regards,

Tony

2 Thanks

Okay this may seem like a silly question, but when version 8 came out my auditor told me new equipment would be equipment that we have never had on site before like when I brought a gain probe for our scale we never had one on site but what if for example we are upgrading a robot that stacks bags its a full replacement but the same style robot, name etc. and also same for buying a replacement floor scale because its worn out?  I am in a low risk process dry edible beans.

Thanks,

The Interpretation Guideline says that the intention of the clause is to ensure that there is a process in place for new equipment to ensure product safety and integrity is maintained.

That does not mean that there should not be some evaluation of replacement equipment. The process just does not necessarily have to be as stringent as that for equipment new to the site.

The Interpretation Guideline also says that there should be a risk-based comissioning process.

Replacement of a robot, even though it is the same style, could still bring possible contamination risks from the removal of the old unit and the installation of the new unit.

Floor scales, depending where they are in the process, probably no so much.

Marshall

2 Thanks

To add to Marshall’s post:

BRCGS Guidance Issue 9 Section 4.6 Equipment

The site will need to consider the requirements:

• when purchasing new equipment or equipment that is new to the site (for example, second-hand or reconditioned equipment)

If you are replacing with the same or similar then it should be straightforward as you will have already worked through the risk assessments and implemented appropriate controls.

Kind regards,

Tony

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Packaging Materials Issue 7 Draft Steel-it epoxy paint for equipment product-contact surfaces Traceability issue with product receiving? Is 316 stainless steel necessary as opposed to 304 stainless steel for food-contact surfaces on equipment? Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Ceiling issue fix FSSC 22000 v 6 Food Safety Additional requirements documentation Standard Microbial Count for Equipment and Utensils in Food Industry New Equipment and Commissioning Checklist Template FSSC v6 equipment management purchase specification