What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Sous Vide Chicken Breast- Safe at less than 165°F?

Started by , May 18 2023 07:56 PM
3 Replies

Another day, another question.

We are developing a process for cooking chicken breast with an immersion circulator.

As many are familiar, the USDA requires 165°F for safety.

They are saying texture is better at 72°C or 161°F, but I am reluctant to sign off.

The chicken breasts will be kept in the hot water bath for 5 hours, so reaching the center of each breast reaching the water bath temperature is not an issue.

Is anyone aware of a lower temperature/longer time that would also be safe? 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Sous vide and pregnancy Sous vide meat swollen like a balloon and smells, is it ok to eat? HACCP plan for Sous Vide for lamb Sous vide safety - short term Sous vide - under vaccum meals
[Ad]

Pg 37 of Appendix A FSIS Cooking Guideline shows Table 3. Time-Temperature Combinations for Chicken Products to Achieve Lethality.

You can cook at 161F for 10-13 seconds depending on your fat %. Just make sure you are recording that it is at that temperature for that length of time. 

1 Like1 Thank

@SoupsNStuff Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for.

I knew I had seen it before, but couldn't find the document.  :lol:

Hi ABFC,

I hope yr chicken is free of L.monocytogenes. :smile:

Will probably happily survive 72degC/10-13 secs although 5 hours should well eradicate (core temperature vs time ??).

Might also note that Appendix A (2021) has a few operational caveats around sous-vide, etc (Pg 22).

Similar Discussion Topics
Sous vide and pregnancy Sous vide meat swollen like a balloon and smells, is it ok to eat? HACCP plan for Sous Vide for lamb Sous vide safety - short term Sous vide - under vaccum meals