What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Is lipstick a GMP issue in the food industry?

Started by , Jun 21 2023 02:35 PM
9 Replies

Hey Team, 

I'm new to this industry and had a question. nail polish, fake nails, jewelry are all big no no's when it comes to GMP's. but what about make up and lipstick? what are the food industry standards when it comes to this???

Thanks everyone for all your support. 

KSsauceMan

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Food Fraud for Storage and Distribution Warehouse Any food product naming policy in EU? Storing food ingredients in same warehouse as food contact packaging Example of How to Assess Your Food Safety Culture Utilization of Grape Seeds and analysis of potential applications in the food industry.
[Ad]

The thought process is that fake nails break and nail polish chips off and they can end up in food.  Same with false lashes or jewelry.  We disallow all of that.  I'm not familiar with any case of other makeup falling or flaking off.  If it did, it would certainly fall into the same category.  It might be a case by case basis if someone has so much makeup on that it's falling off, it would need to be addressed.  

3 Likes
I can't recall hearing about any recalls or product withdrawals on this. I can't imagine that if lip chap sticks aren't an issue, lipstick would be.
YMMV

Make-up and lipstick policies vary by site in my experience. Personally I don't think they're too big of an issue and don't have any policy in place regarding their use. However, based on your own risk assessment you may develop alternate rules for your facility.

Any makeup with excessive glitter, rhinestones, etc that could potentially fall into food would also be a big no for me. Other than that, we don't have any policies regarding makeup.

1 Like1 Thank

My POV, I would argue it is not (when we are talking about normal use/circumstances), however I think it largely depends if you would feel comfortable arguing that with an auditor, or even leaving yourself open to the question being asked.

Also, it depends on the company you work for, it may be a nice one to offer up to the staff as a compromise as a more modern workplace in lieu of false nails etc or you may want to close the door on it entirely as you will then have foundation, blusher, mascara etc etc.

I can see the logic behind both options.

Hi SauceManinKS, 

The risk of lipstick contaminating a product is very low. I am unaware of any outbreaks or contamination issues due to workers wearing lipstick and makeup. The main issue with fake nails, fake lashes etc. is that it can fall into food product. If you are going to have "no lipstick or no makeup" as part of your food safety policy, there should be proper justification for having it there. The other thing you should consider is there are tinted lip moisturizers, used for chapped lips so if you decide on going down that route, it will be a very slippery slope. 

I hope this helps 

1 Like

It is better to have a strict no makeup policy rather than pick and choose on a case by case basis. If you choose to allow lipstick, you eventually end up making arguments for avoiding enforcement of other policies.

Hi KSsauceMan,

The wearing of false fingernails, false eyelashes, eyelash extensions, long nails, or fingernail polish should not be permitted when handling exposed food as they are foreign body risks.

Also, strong aftershave/perfume should be prohibited as they can taint.

Lipstick and make up are less of a food safety concern, I wouldn’t exclude them in a policy but deal with anyone that had excessive make up. They are working in a food operation, not on a fashion show.

Kind regards,

Tony

1 Like

No applying make up or lipstick or lip balm in the production areas, not that they cannot be worn into them.....   

Similar Discussion Topics
Food Fraud for Storage and Distribution Warehouse Any food product naming policy in EU? Storing food ingredients in same warehouse as food contact packaging Example of How to Assess Your Food Safety Culture Utilization of Grape Seeds and analysis of potential applications in the food industry. Food Fraud & Food Defense Micro. Guidelines for Food Contact Surfaces Food Fraud Vulnerability Assessment (VACCP) and Food Defence (TACCP) and their Mitigation Plans NC for using non food grade oil in a compressor Utilization of Grape Seeds and analysis of potential applications in the food industry.