What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Food Contact Label Migration Test Lab Recommendation

Started by , Jul 05 2023 08:04 PM
4 Replies

Our company produces a sheeted Polypropylene food contact label that sits directly on a meat product in a brine solution, shrink wrapped and sold as chilled product in stores.

We previously used a lab in the USA to test our label to 21 CFR 177.1520.

I am having a hard time finding a lab in either Canada or USA that will test to: 21 CFR 177.1520 or 21 CFR 176.170. Specifically a lab that has the capability to test for specific  migration of:

1. (2-methoxymethylethoxy)propanol (CAS 34590-94-8)
  1. Monoethanolamine (CAS 141-43-5)

I would like to get my samples sent off to a lab soon to get the test results back.  Anyone recommend a lab I can contact in Canada or USA that could possibly test this label for me?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Example of How to Assess Your Food Safety Culture Food Fraud for Storage and Distribution Warehouse Any food product naming policy in EU? Storing food ingredients in same warehouse as food contact packaging Utilization of Grape Seeds and analysis of potential applications in the food industry.
[Ad]

Do your films even contain those as a part of the structure or an additive? If not and you have documentation from your supplier on it, I wouldn't be testing for it.

Chemical migration is an issue mostly when you add stuff to the film such as inks or adhesives or when your customer uses it outside its spec limitations.  Is the film approved for use in the way stated that the customer uses it?  IMO...If you made no such declarations and the customer is using it as such, should be their responsibility to test for it.  

To clarify. Polypropylene material is raw (no adhesive backing, which sits on the meat product) and is FDA approved, layer of ink applied to the front, then sealed with a Polypropylene laminate to sandwich and seal the ink. Laminate is FDA approved. To date, testing has been to confirm that the laminate "seal" over the ink is strong enough so no ink leaches out of the seal to the product.

1 Like

Did you reach out to BV labs or Siliker?

Did you reach out to BV labs or Siliker?

My online research did not show Siliker. BV Could not help us. I will contact Siliker and see if they can help.

Similar Discussion Topics
Example of How to Assess Your Food Safety Culture Food Fraud for Storage and Distribution Warehouse Any food product naming policy in EU? Storing food ingredients in same warehouse as food contact packaging Utilization of Grape Seeds and analysis of potential applications in the food industry. Food Fraud & Food Defense Micro. Guidelines for Food Contact Surfaces Food Fraud Vulnerability Assessment (VACCP) and Food Defence (TACCP) and their Mitigation Plans NC for using non food grade oil in a compressor Utilization of Grape Seeds and analysis of potential applications in the food industry.