What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Ingredient labeling - 2 different forms of same ingredient

Started by , Jul 11 2023 05:06 PM
7 Replies

Do you have to include the physical state of ingredients in the ingredients statement when labeling food? We have a granola recipe that includes two different forms of the same ingredient. For example, can you say "flax seeds" and include both full, intact seeds and also ground flax seeds in the recipe, or do you need to state "flax seeds" and "ground flax seeds" separately? 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Ingredient risk assesment Ingredient List Question (FDA, USA) Non-food grade ingredient What is the requirement for damaged ingredient bags in dry storage area? How to control salt water brine as an ingredient?
[Ad]

grouped should be fine imho... unless their spec sheets indicate something additional that needs to be included.  But I combine things all the time, flours, etc.

1 Like1 Thank

Agree with Matt - however, I've seen a lot of ingredient lists, which included something like "wheat flour, enriched wheat flour". I was just making specs for ice cream and noticed that in couple of ingredients...

1 Like

Agree with Matt - however, I've seen a lot of ingredient lists, which included something like "wheat flour, enriched wheat flour". I was just making specs for ice cream and noticed that in couple of ingredients...

For sure, but I think you can still combine those, so it could be 'enriched wheat flour' for both.   Same with spices, you can just combine them and say spices, or you can list them out if you wish.

1 Thank
Separately.

Knowing several people that have a sensitivity to seeds compared to none with ground they would certainly ly want to know.

No there is no requirement to declare the physical state.  

I would combine them. 

Combined.  I would only separate them if you were trying to make additional claims.  "whole" foods or some such.

... several people that have a sensitivity to seeds compared to none with ground ...

I would expect more of a response from material that has been comminuted -- not for the "sensitivity" to go away if they can't perceive its presence.  Sounds psychological, or just made up. 

It should be ok to combine them in the ingredient statement, but make sure then that you consider the combined weight in the ingredient declaration, as ingredients must be declared in descending order of prominence.

Similar Discussion Topics
Ingredient risk assesment Ingredient List Question (FDA, USA) Non-food grade ingredient What is the requirement for damaged ingredient bags in dry storage area? How to control salt water brine as an ingredient? Product cooling (RTE) in an ingredient storage area Transportation of a frozen ingredient Form of ingredient to include on labels Customer will not provide their ingredient recipe Water in Ingredient Listing