What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Micro Testing for French Fries

Started by , Jul 25 2023 12:26 PM
4 Replies

Does anyone have preferred testing for frozen par fried French fries? Our in house lab uses 3M Petrifilm plates. 

My initial thoughts were APC, coliforms/e. coli and possibly add staph. aureus? Is it common to plate Yeast and molds for potatoes? 

Thanks for your feedback! 

1 Like
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Ambient air micro (APC, Y&M) limits Specifications for Micro Testing of Water used in Food Production Compressed Air - Micro parameters Micro-testing (E.Coli, Salmonella, Yeast and Mold) for supplier Micro. Guidelines for Food Contact Surfaces
[Ad]

I work with a frozen fry company.   They only test for APC and coliform/EB.   

I guess it depends on customer requirements and what information you seek to gain from testing.   

I work corporately for a number of fresh cut fruit and vegetable plants, so no frozen french fry experience, but we've been updating a lot of our HA's to reflect the FDA's newly issued recommendation tables.  For frozen NRTE vegetables, they've identified e. Coli, Salmonella, and Listeria as potential biological hazards.

P. 41:  Draft Guidance for Industry: Hazard Analysis and Risk-Based Preventive Controls for Human Food - Appendix 1 Tables (fda.gov)

I'd recommend YM/EL monitoring at the site level for potential sanitation issues and sending out APC/EB on their actual food products to at least indicate whether further testing would be recommended/needed. Bare minimum though would be AC/EB plates. CC/EC plates too if they've ever had issues with pathogenic forms of E. coli. 

What are the limits you are going to use?   Before setting up a test, you need to be prepared for the results!!

Similar Discussion Topics
Ambient air micro (APC, Y&M) limits Specifications for Micro Testing of Water used in Food Production Compressed Air - Micro parameters Micro-testing (E.Coli, Salmonella, Yeast and Mold) for supplier Micro. Guidelines for Food Contact Surfaces Micro Lab Testing Micro Testing Composite Sampling Interpretation of micro testing guide Equipment Micro Standards Micro Tests for a lupin manufacturing company