What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How To become a GFSI Auditor?

Started by , Aug 01 2023 02:22 PM
3 Replies

Hello,

As a QA Manager with 7 years of experience in the food industry (2 years in QA manager, rest QA coordinator and tech) in Canada, I am interested in becoming a GFSI auditor in the long term. I have found conflicting information online and would like some guidance on where to begin. I am willing to start from the basics and obtain any necessary licenses.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Over lenient NSF auditor First time Costco audit, no GFSI certification Which microbials should a pre-packaged food be tested for to be GFSI certified? Are You an Effective Auditor? FSSC Internal auditor competency
[Ad]

simple answer is that you need education and or experience, lead auditor course, experience in some categories. and witness audits.   Each standard has published their if you want the exact requirements.  

1 Like
I was an SQF Auditor for about 7 years and then flipped hats and went into consulting.

I would suggest (let's take SQF as an example) looking up the requirements to become a registered SQF Auditor and then contacting some of the auditing companies to see what their requirements are.

Most are looking for broad range of food sectors, the more the better and also to get more assignments they are interested more in their auditors having multiple schemes.

Some companies may hire you as an employee but most take contractors. That part will be up to you. However those that employ may be willing to take on a beginner and provide the tools needed to learn as you work under the guidance of a mentor or one of the Auditors.
1 Like

It may be worth it to look at which sectors are currently short on auditors as well to make yourself "desirable." I work in packaging and a number of our sites are BRC certified. There have been shortages in auditors able to do the BRC Packaging audits since day one. A friend who is an auditor for a CB has said it's a gap that needs filling and they just can't find the people. May be another option to get your foot in the door.

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Over lenient NSF auditor First time Costco audit, no GFSI certification Which microbials should a pre-packaged food be tested for to be GFSI certified? Are You an Effective Auditor? FSSC Internal auditor competency Is it possible to pass a GFSI audit with a poor food safety culture? GFSI Certified and Allergen Free Repacking How to approve suppliers without a GFSI recognized certificate? Choice of Auditor and Auditing Date BRCGS 3.5.3 Issue 6 - Internal Auditor competency