What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Propane forklifts allowed in storage and distribution for animal feed?

Started by , Aug 08 2023 06:11 PM
6 Replies

Does anyone know if propane tanks are permitted in storage and distribution for animal feed? We are SQF certified and I'm not finding anything specific in the guidance documents.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Signage For Propane Storage Container Propane for direct contact with food and pig slaughter Does anyone have experience justifying the use of propane forklifts in a production environment? Can we have propane forklifts in production areas, or only electrical? Propane forklifts or PIT what are hydrocarbon emission limits?
[Ad]

I would expect personnel safety hazard levels (dizziness, nausea, etc.) to be exceeded around the same time the exhaust level reached the concentration that it could have an impact on food/feed safety.

Beyond active use for powered equipment you have basic food/feed defense considerations for containers of "chemicals" that a bad actor could tamper with.

1 Thank

We only use them to load a rail container shipment that goes out once a week. Otherwise, we use electric forklifts.

Follow all applicable Federal, State and local rules and regulations regarding propane thanks for lift trucks.

Here is a short article on some of the requirements:

https://na.bhs1.com/...ft-truck-fleets

1 Thank

Get a filter on the exhaust.  These make them safer to use all around.  

https://www.catalyti...haust-purifiers

1 Thank

I have a few animal feed facilities that use them.   BRC certfied.   Shouldn't be an issue.  

Totally dependent on fumes - if burnoff is bad and it is evident during an audit it will get gig'd for air quality, etc.

I seem to remember doing 2 audits where fumes were an issue.

Similar Discussion Topics
Signage For Propane Storage Container Propane for direct contact with food and pig slaughter Does anyone have experience justifying the use of propane forklifts in a production environment? Can we have propane forklifts in production areas, or only electrical? Propane forklifts or PIT what are hydrocarbon emission limits?