What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Frequency of External Calibration of Analytical Balance and Incubator

Started by , Aug 09 2023 02:23 AM
5 Replies

Hi,

May I know is there any specified intervals for external calibration (analytical balance & incubator) ? 

Can I do it every 2 years because I use it only 2 / 3 times per month and we do internal calibration every month.

thanks in advance!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Reference document for setting oven calibration frequency Risk assessment to determine frequency of ATP swabbing Walnut test frequency Frequency of Internal Audits Environmental Monitoring Frequency of Testing
[Ad]

Hi Fara,

Normally external calibration is carried out at a frequency based on a risk.

If the equipment/instrument is carrying out critical checks, such as for food safety, monitoring Critical Control Points or for product legality such as quantity/weight checks then an annual calibration may be required at a minimum.

You need to also consider your level of checks/monitoring, historical reliability and any manufacturer’s recommendations.

In your case, every 2 years may be acceptable if for example you check the balance with calibrated weights and the incubator temperature with a calibrated NPL thermometer and the calibration certificate you have doesn't have an expiry date.

Kind regards,

Tony

2 Likes1 Thank

Hi Fara,

Normally external calibration is carried out at a frequency based on a risk.

If the equipment/instrument is carrying out critical checks, such as for food safety, monitoring Critical Control Points or for product legality such as quantity/weight checks then an annual calibration may be required at a minimum.

You need to also consider your level of checks/monitoring, historical reliability and any manufacturer’s recommendations.

In your case, every 2 years may be acceptable if for example you check the balance with calibrated weights and the incubator temperature with a calibrated NPL thermometer and the calibration certificate you have doesn't have an expiry date.

Kind regards,

Tony

So it is acceptable if I use mercury thermometer(calibrated by 3rd party) and calibrate the laboratory incubator by myself? 

and I don't need to send my incubator to 3rd party for calibration right?

So it is acceptable if I use mercury thermometer(calibrated by 3rd party) and calibrate the laboratory incubator by myself? 

and I don't need to send my incubator to 3rd party for calibration right?

You will presumably also require an appropriate Procedure for calibrating the Incubator (eg temperature variations) and a thermometer externally calibrated at appropriate temperatures.

Why use a  mercury thermometer ? ( I daresay cheaper but I would have thought thermocouple more rapid responses and can be miniaturised/automated ).

1 Thank

You will presumably also require an appropriate Procedure for calibrating the Incubator (eg temperature variations) and a thermometer externally calibrated at appropriate temperatures.

Why use a  mercury thermometer ? ( I daresay cheaper but I would have thought thermocouple more rapid responses and can be miniaturised/automated ).

Mercury thermometer act as master when i calibrate the other thermometer. 

Mercury thermometer act as master when i calibrate the other thermometer. 

Thanks, that makes sense.

Note that if incubator running at say nominally 36degC, you may require the master/sub-master to have a specific calibration at that value. (The subsequent practical usage  depends on how the external calibrator quantitates/presents their results).

Similar Discussion Topics
Reference document for setting oven calibration frequency Risk assessment to determine frequency of ATP swabbing Walnut test frequency Frequency of Internal Audits Environmental Monitoring Frequency of Testing Unannounced FSSC 22000 Audit Frequency Metal Detector Frequency and Verification BRCGS Food Safety 5.6.1 - Product Testing Frequency Risk Assessment Sharps Control - Required inspection frequency? Frequency of Internal Audit Based on ISO 22000:2018 Standard