What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Maintenance team footwear in production areas of a low risk poultry processing plant

Started by , Aug 24 2023 09:53 AM

Always always steel toe rubber boots in a packhouse that is what everyone should be wearing

boot wash stations they either walk through or stop to manually scrub

6 Replies

Hi all,

I am head of technical / quality at a low risk poultry processing plant. We cut, marinate and pack various cuts of poultry and supply to our customers as fresh and frozen.

Need a bit of help regarding maintenance footwear when entering production areas. Is there any suitable footwear specific to maintenance teams available? Wondering what other people do to ensure maintenance are entering food production areas safetly and are not a contamination risk. 

Thanks,

1 Like
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Maintenance Shop Refrigerator Water hoses and nozzles - maintenance and cleaning schedule What kind of Verification is required for Maintenance and Sanitation? GMP rules for maintenance Preventative Maintenance Program
[Ad]

Always always steel toe rubber boots in a packhouse that is what everyone should be wearing

boot wash stations they either walk through or stop to manually scrub

Greetings,

Single-use shoe covers could be a solution and a rug soaked with disinfectant at production entry points!

Attached Files

Thanks for your posts so far! I'm leaning towards steel toe capped boots, similar to the rest of our production facility. Always found shoe covers to be a bit of a health and safety hazard in our facility, so i'm assuming would be even worse for the maintenance team!

Our in-house maintenance personnel have their own rubber safety boots like the rest of the production team. As for outside maintenance personnel, we provide shoe covers to put over their safety boots. This has worked out so far.

... Wondering what other people do to ensure maintenance are entering food production areas safety and are not a contamination risk. 

The same thing everyone else entering a production area is required to do.

Specific to footwear: they go through a bootwash, and footwear is expected to be in good condition of a material that does not pose any unreasonable level of risk (which generally means water resistant material to minimize absorbed contaminants, and without decorative sources of FM)

Hi all,

I am head of technical / quality at a low risk poultry processing plant. We cut, marinate and pack various cuts of poultry and supply to our customers as fresh and frozen.

Need a bit of help regarding maintenance footwear when entering production areas. Is there any suitable footwear specific to maintenance teams available? Wondering what other people do to ensure maintenance are entering food production areas safetly and are not a contamination risk. 

Thanks,

A majority of my lab experience involves the US Poultry Industry, and I highly recommend investing in a nice set of waders as well as some non-slip boots that are "water-proof". 

My steel toes normally get coated every other month and I sanitize them often (several times a day). I definitely have to sanitize them often. I'd maybe recommend sanitizing footbaths for those not on the floor at all hours of the day. If this isn't feasible, I'd go the shoe cover route. 

Similar Discussion Topics
Maintenance Shop Refrigerator Water hoses and nozzles - maintenance and cleaning schedule What kind of Verification is required for Maintenance and Sanitation? GMP rules for maintenance Preventative Maintenance Program How to handle the following FDA observation: Your plant was not constructed to facilitate maintenance and sanitary operations Is a line clearance form for all maintenance work required? KPI Maintenance Form TS 22002-1 Section 8 Equipment suitability, cleaning and maintenance New Production Equipment document for QA and maintenance to assure functionality and food safety