What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Why are bugs that come in a received ingredient a spec issue and not a food safety issue?

Started by , Sep 06 2023 02:59 PM
6 Replies

I am hoping to find out why bugs in a received ingredient would be a spec issue rather than classified as food safety issue.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Food Safety Culture in a Low Risk Product Facility (Wine) Traceability issue with product receiving? Food loss and waste policy Is 316 stainless steel necessary as opposed to 304 stainless steel for food-contact surfaces on equipment? Banned and Restricted Food Colors in the UK (FSA)
[Ad]

This may not be the answer you want to hear, but for me:   Because the FDA says so. 

If the FDA said otherwise, I'd react otherwise.   We're a dry mix manufacturer so bugs are a common worry and we spend a lot of time cleaning to ensure we have no bugs in here, and anything that arrived here with bugs will be rejected, thrown out immediately, etc.

3 Likes1 Thank

From the FDA website: The FDA set these action levels because it is economically impractical to grow, harvest, or process raw products that are totally free of non-hazardous, naturally occurring, unavoidable defects. Products harmful to consumers are subject to regulatory action whether or not they exceed the action levels."

The FDA does put a limit on them. 

https://www.fda.gov/...levels-handbook

1 Like

Probably has something to do with the FDA providing an acceptable level of bug parts per sample size in many, many ingredients.  Hell, they have acceptable levels of mammal droppings for many of the foods too.

Food Defect Levels Handbook | FDA

The food safety issue regarding insects is their ability to transport bacteria into goods.  Some plants will defend certain levels of insects in their product depending on whether its RTE/NRTE status.  "Weevils in your raw flour?  Meh, sift them out, you're going to bake something with the flour and the baking provides sufficient kill temps."  Not an attitude I love, personally, but it is out there.

2 Likes

Strange thread to a non-USA reader.

Is there a FDA definition/interpretation of "bug" ? (Partially answered by Post 4).

My instinctive thought on reading the OP was that surely it depends on what "bug" is being referred to ?

I would have also thought that the issue may overlap the notorious (US) topic of "adulteration" ?

1 Like

Health Canada also has a list of "unavoidable" contaminates available upon request

https://www.canada.c...al-methods.html

2 Likes

Probably has something to do with the FDA providing an acceptable level of bug parts per sample size in many, many ingredients.  Hell, they have acceptable levels of mammal droppings for many of the foods too.

Food Defect Levels Handbook | FDA

The food safety issue regarding insects is their ability to transport bacteria into goods.  Some plants will defend certain levels of insects in their product depending on whether its RTE/NRTE status.  "Weevils in your raw flour?  Meh, sift them out, you're going to bake something with the flour and the baking provides sufficient kill temps."  Not an attitude I love, personally, but it is out there.

Stop it, you're making me hungry.....lol.

2 Likes

Similar Discussion Topics
Food Safety Culture in a Low Risk Product Facility (Wine) Traceability issue with product receiving? Food loss and waste policy Is 316 stainless steel necessary as opposed to 304 stainless steel for food-contact surfaces on equipment? Banned and Restricted Food Colors in the UK (FSA) Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Food Safety Day 2024 - Prepare for the unexpected NC for using non food grade oil in a compressor Inquiry about food safety culture elements