What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Metal Detector Reject Bins

Started by , Sep 27 2023 02:28 AM
7 Replies

Hi all.

We have just purchased a used metal detector but there are no reject bins with it. The supplier does not have any. What are some options we can utilise to have this running well? I have searched far and wide for some reject bins but cant seem to locate any and was wondering if anyone has been able to set up their own. One side rejects metal, and the other side rejects underweights/overweights. Thank you

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
False Positive Metal Detection Reject Metal Detection - is it a Monitoring Activity or a CCP? Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations New Metal Detector requirements in the food safety management system BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces
[Ad]

Hi nakedbakery,

I guess it must have been cheap!  :lol2:

You say one side rejects metal, and the other side rejects underweights/overweights. Does that mean that the reject mechanisms are in place but there is no bin/lockable cage there?

Kind regards,

Tony

Hi Tony,

I wish it was - paid $24,000 AUD for it. Yes it has reject mechanisms but no bins

I don't know what your setup looks like, but ours kicks out into garbage cans.   Clean garbage cans of course, lol.  They're just labeled 'kickouts'.

Just contact the manufacturer of the detector - that's what one of our clients did and they provided directly.

Is the detector handling open product or sealed packages?  (I'm guessing sealed product bins or trays or bags or something).  You can get away with staging some clean and sanitized trash cans where the reject mechanism is pushing out the trays.  Auditors do like seeing locked bins to prevent employees from taking rejected material and placing it on finished pallets, but you can get around this with training and even labeling of the bins.  Hell, depending on the size of your product and the quantity of rejects you anticipate, a couple of wire bins could be hung on the sides of the machine by one of your more creative maintenance guys.

If you'd prefer the locking type bins and can't get any from the supplier or the manufacturer, you could reach out to local metal fabrication shops to build you a set of custom ones attached to the machine itself.

Maintenance or a local fabricator could make a pair of rectangular stainless bins with some caster wheels on them pretty easily. 

We have a mix of fancy manufacturer cabinets and in-house bins.  Depending on your product and reject rates the rolling and hot-swappable bins might be preferable.

Hi Tony,

I wish it was - paid $24,000 AUD for it. Yes it has reject mechanisms but no bins

Hi nakedbakery,

$24k doesn't sound too bad. As long as I'm not paying for it  :smile:

Should be a relatively easy fix to capture the rejects if the reject mechanism is working. In addition to "bins", I have seen rejects into locked cages on tables which makes less of a mess and easier to investigate rejections if they haven't been damaged by dropping into a bin.

I am wondering why you would reject overweight? unless it was a specific dietary requirement/claim.

Kind regards,

Tony

Similar Discussion Topics
False Positive Metal Detection Reject Metal Detection - is it a Monitoring Activity or a CCP? Mycotoxin and heavy metal limits in frozen fruits and vegetables as per EU regulations New Metal Detector requirements in the food safety management system BRC Metal Detection - Correct Placing of Test Pieces Metal detector rejects Metal detectable Infrared thermometer? Metal Detector Validation vs Calibration Metal Detector Validation Can you get SQF Certification without a Metal Detector?